Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Installation Errors
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Installation Errors
Topic: Uninstall and Reinstall PDF Redirect in Windows 98 Post Reply Post New Topic
fdsid

Quote fdsid Replybullet Topic: Uninstall and Reinstall PDF Redirect in Windows 98
    Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 5:05PM
Go ahead & laugh.  I still have, and use, a desktop machine running Win 98.  So what if it's obsolete--it still works.

I had a system glitch which forced the OS to safe mode a few weeks ago, and PDF Redirect stopped working (along with my other printers).  I've successfully reinstalled my main Brother multifunction printer (after a half day's effort) but
a.  PDF Redirect no longer appears as a printer in the PRINTER selection from either the start menu or the control panel
b.  PDF Redirect no longer appears as a printer when I try to select a printer from an application such as Excel or Word
c.  PDF Redirect does not appear in the ADD/REMOVE programs menu
d.  PDF Redirect DOES, however, still appear in C:\Program Files\PDF reDirect.
d1.  Clicking PDF_reDirect.exe results in "Critical Error at Startup.  Error = 339.  Description = Component 'ccrpftv6.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:  A file is missing or invalid.  DLL Error = 0"
d2.  There is no uninstall file in C:\Program Files\PDF reDirect

I've tried reinstalling with no success, and (as you can see) I can't uninstall

Can you help?

I'd like to get PDF Redirect working again, because it's the BEST method for converting my scanned files (which contain things like legal notices, tax documents, receipts and Quicken reports) from the scanner's proprietary formats into something that's usable on my new Vista machine (or any other machine or media I'd care to port the files to)
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 8:29PM
No worries about Windows 98 (or Vista for that matter). :)

Are you getting any kind of error message or error log (a text file) that appears when the installation fails? Any kind of hint as to what is going wrong would be very valuable to allow me to give you some advice.

The error you are getting when trying to run the remnants indicate that a re-install is indeed necessary.
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
fdsid

Quote fdsid Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 07 at 5:03PM
Thanks for the quick response, Michel. 
I tried to reinstall using 'Install_PDFR_v225.exe' which I downloaded on 11/17/07.  I tried the reinstall immediately after a reboot--no other applications were running (I did read some of the other posts....)

Error Message: 
The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.  This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check by using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Damaged disk:  Not likely.  11/27/07 Norton Disk Doctor  check on both HDDs showed no problems
Virus:  Not Likely.  AVG and Norton scans 11/27/07 both show no viruses.
Failed Download:  Don't know:  Filename = Install_PDFR_v225.exe, downloaded 11-17-17 (Download.com) and filesize = 593 KB

I'm disinclined to use the command line switch, largely because this is the first time ever that I've seen a NOT RECOMMENDED warning on any such suggestion (hence I'm leaning to the 'this isn't a good idea' decision)

Your recommendation please?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 07 at 6:32PM
Hi,

Well, thank you for the detailed answer as you gave me the answer to the problem. The downloaded file should about 6MB, so the file you downloaded is definitely incomplete.

You can re-download using this link [here]. I tested it, and it worked for me. Hopefully this will fix everything.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
fdsid

Quote fdsid Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 07 at 12:07PM
Thank you and BRAVO! 

I installed the new download this morning, opened my scanner files and 'printed' some bills and faxes to PDFs.

PDF Redirect installed smoothly and worked PERFECTLY.

Thank you again!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 07 at 12:13AM

That's great! Smile
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
vinill

Quote vinill Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 3:53AM

I have gone through your problem with uninstalling /installing PDF Redirect, but I can’t figure out the real issue behind this problem. I too think that may be the installation file that you have with you is corrupted or incomplete. Please try re-downloading the file and then try to uninstall/install using it. If you still have the problem, it will be better if you contact the PDF redirect customer support.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version