Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: How Do I Create Links? Post Reply Post New Topic
Matt

Quote Matt Replybullet Topic: How Do I Create Links?
    Posted: 02 Dec 06 at 5:23AM
Hello,

I've purchased PDF Direct Pro and love it.  First I create what I want in MS Word 2003, then PDF D Pro does the rest.  However, I have a problem...

I noticed that when I transfer the info from MS Word to PDF, the links don't work any more.  In MS Word, I've successfully made both text and image links.

While I come here looking for help on creating an image link, I was also reminded the text links don't work either.

How do I create text and image links in my PDF file?

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Matt Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 06 at 10:26PM
Hi Matt,

The problem you are describing is a tough one to address. When you "print" your Word document to convert it to the PDF format, not all the data is sent to the PDF printer. The hyperlink data you created is not sent by MS Word to the printer, and therefore, PDF reDirect is unable to re-create the hyperlinks that are in the original Word document.

However, there is hope. Currently, PDF reDirect Pro has a feature which allows you to convert plain text into hyperlinks. With a little bit of imagination, it is even possible to create short text and images with links. How this works as well as some sample files is given in an older forum post [here]. In addition, you can also apply stamps on your PDF which include hyperlinks.

There is hope for the future: I plan to introduce a VBA routine for MS Word which will look for the hyperlinks and transfer them to the PDF. It will be available early next year.

I hope that helps for now.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Matt

Quote Matt Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 06 at 10:39PM

Thank you very much for the reply.  I have set my preferences to receivea  message when someone replies and have received the info via eMail... and I have replied to that.

Thanks for everything.

Matt Big%20smile

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 06 at 2:51PM
Hi Matt,

I have composed a step-by-step guide for you to answer your question, but my Internet access via my ISP is currently down for whatever reason. In fact, I am posting this using my cell phone. :)

Anyway, I will post the instructions as soon as my internet is working again.

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 06 at 12:28AM

Hi Matt,

Here is an explanation how to give the illusion that you can click on a word, and it is "clickable" in the PDF that is created from Word.

1. Highlight the word or words you want your readers to be able to click.
  2. Make sure the word(s) are underlined and blue in color. I also like to place square brackets around the word too to make is look like a button. Here is an example: Please visit my [web site].
  3. Then add in your document a "text box" using the Textbox tool. Word 97& 2000 are pretty easy, but Word 2003 will add the Textbox to a "Drawing Canvas" which makes things a bit more complicated (more on that later).
    •  
  4. In the textbox, type your link (for example "www.exp-systems.com") and make sure that the font is a "standard" font such as  Time-Roman, Arial or Courier.
  5. Then, Right-click your textbox and choose the "format" menu and change the settings as you see here in the pictures. Basically, make the margins as small as possible, do not word-wrap (all the text on one line), there should not be any fill or lines.
    •  
    •  
  6. For the Layout options, Word 97/2000 and Word 2003 are different as follows:

1.      Word 97/2000. You only need to worry about the layout of the textbox. Simply click the "Layout" tab and make sure that the textbox is selected as "Behind text"

2.      Word 2003: You need to set the layout of the textbox such that the textbox is located at the corner of the drawing canvas. Then, select the Drawing Canvas and set the layout to "Behind text"

1. Finally, resize the textbox and the Drawing Canvas (Word 2003 only) to be as small as possible, and move it on top of the text you want the hyperlink for. It should look something like this (what a mess! Smile)
    •  
  1. Now, highlight the text inside the textbox and make it the same colour as the background, like this:
    •  
  2. Now, your hyperlink text in the textbox is "invisible"

3. Save, and print to the PDF reDirect Pro printer to create your PDF. Make sure you select the option to "Add Web Links" and save your PDF. Now, open it in your PDF Reader. The link should work like this:

• PDF Document is [here]

That's it! To save you time, click [here] to download a zip file with the Word document and the PDF file. To save you time, open the Word document and copy-and-paste the textbox to your document.

I hope that helps. It is a lot of gymnastics and a pain, I agree. I hope to have an easier tool available next year which will make it all automatic.

Sorry for the delay; I had no internet for two days!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version