Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: batch print all files in folder Post Reply Post New Topic
gastan

Quote gastan Replybullet Topic: batch print all files in folder
    Posted: 27 Feb 11 at 5:16PM

Unless I don't understand it I don't think the batch printer is what I want.

I have a file with alot of jpg images that I want to print to pdf and then combine into one pdf file.  Is there a way to select the folder and have PDF reDirect Pro process all of the (image) files in that folder automatically?  So far I've been processing them one at a time using the print option in the image editing program.  Time consuming and boring.

Thanks,
Gary
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 11 at 10:57PM
Hi,

Actually, the batch printer should work for you. Select all of the files in Windows Explorer >> right-click >> Print >> Select the batch printer.

An alternative is to use the Windows "Preview" feature. From there, you can choose to Print >> Select "All" Pictures >> etc. (for this, you could use the PDF reDirect printer, unless you need each image to be in it's own PDF file. If so, then a batch printer would indeed work better.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I believe the 1st option will not work on Win 7 (I think they removed that feature).
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
gastan

Quote gastan Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 11 at 10:03AM
Thanks, Michel, for your reply.

I did get the batch printer set up and it does print all the files to pdf.  However .......................

1 -- It prints all of them to one pdf file instead of individual files.  I was hoping for individual file conversion so that I could control the order of the contents of the final pdf.
2 -- That pdf is larger than the size of all the original files combined.  I converted 89 jpg files - total size of 62.6MB - and the resulting pdf file was 72.9MB.  I used the default settings for all options.
3 -- Choosing all files > right click > print/preview brings up the WinXP "photo printing wizard".  There is no way to choose the order of the printing in the wizard.  Every attempt results in a different printing order.  Also, the wizard automatically rotates landscape photos to portrait and I can find no way to over-ride this.

I guess I'm left with continuing individual processing but I think I'll add a post to the feature request thread.

Thanks.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 11 at 10:48PM
Hi Gastan,

For #1, check the Batch Printer setting, and make sure you select PDF Overwrite >> Create New File with Sequence Number. This should give you one PDF for each photo.

For #2, choose Page Quality >> Good or Low. Alternatively, use "Good" but change the batch  printer's resolution from 600 to 300 dpi.

For #3. Not sure what else. You might want to look for a freeware alternative that's better than the Preview tool (I don't know of any), but I suspect you are not the first to ask for this.

I hope this helps,

Michel

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version