Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Citrix & Windows Terminal Server (Beta)
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Citrix & Windows Terminal Server (Beta)
Topic: WIndows 2000 Terminal Server Post Reply Post New Topic
spensoft

Quote spensoft Replybullet Topic: WIndows 2000 Terminal Server
    Posted: 21 Sep 05 at 10:32AM

I've tried installing both the basic and Professional version of PDF-Redirect on a Windows 2000 Server. The installations work fine and I can use the program locally without any problems.

If I try to login to the Server via Remote Desktop Client and print a document to the PDF-REDIRECt driver, it does not print. The program loads, but I never see a preview of the document and in the Merge List section of the screen, the line reads Current Printer Output (?). It never shows a size like it normally should. If I click on the save button, I get the following message:

An error occured. The PDF File was not created properly.

Any help on thjis would greatly be appreciated.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 05 at 3:02PM
Hi!

First off: huge apologies for the delay: the web site was down due to a server crash at my ISP (or so they claim).

PDF reDirect v2.0.16 does not support remote users, but the new version does.

I would recommend you donwload v2.0.900 and try that. It does support multiple users, and it supports Windows Terminal Services. Even though it is a "beta" version, I have received no reports of bugs.

Simply click [here] to view the forum posting and all the details on this new version.

Cheers!
IP IP Logged
Sbus

Quote Sbus Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 06 at 3:01AM

Same problem with newer version 2.1.9

If I try to login to the Server via Remote Desktop Client and print a document to the PDF-REDIRECt driver, it does not print. (Even local print jobs.)The program loads, but I never see a preview of the document and I can't press the save button. How come ?

Windows small business server 2000 (service pack 4)

Version is not supported?

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 06 at 11:45PM
Hi,

Be aware that how PDF reDirect is installed on a Server makes a difference. If you simply run the installation program, then the program will not support the remote desktop clients.

According to the Windows Server documentation, you need to install programs either via the Add/Remove Control Panel, or via the command line with the right command to ensure that the program will support multiple clients.

Check the documentation that came with your Windows Server software, particularly the topic on setting up Terminal Services. Here is what Microsoft says:

Installing programs on a terminal server

1. You should install programs on a terminal server before giving clients access to the terminal server. Doing so ensures that you can test each program before clients access it, and can reduce the time it takes to perform program tuning.
  2. Use either of the following methods to install programs for multisession Terminal Server access:
    • Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel (recommended).
    • Use the change user command at the command prompt before and after installing the program.
    One of the primary functions of the change user command is to ensure that program files are installed to the systemroot rather than the windows subdirectory of the user's home directory (%homepath%\windows). This makes the programs available for multisession access.
  3. Before the program is installed, type change user /install at the command prompt to place the system in install mode and turn off .ini file mapping. The system then records how the setup APIs initially install the program.
  4. After the program is installed, type change user /execute at the command prompt to return the system to execute mode, restore .ini file mapping, and redirect user-specific data to the user's home directory.
  5. When the user opens the program, user-specific registry setting files (.ini, .dll, .ocx, and so on) are propagated as needed to the user's home directory.
  6. Add or Remove Programs, which runs the change user command, is the preferred method of installing programs. Enter change user at the command prompt only when you install a program by another method and want to ensure multisession access. For example, when Internet Explorer prompts you to install an add-on program, use change user at the command prompt to ensure that the program is installed for multisession access.

Please let me know if you have done the above procedure, and it still does not work.
   Cheers!

Michel.

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 06 at 11:28PM
   Just a quick note for everybody. Received an e-mail from Sbus who reported that he had to restart the Windows Print Spooler Service after installation. That last step got PDF reDirect working.
IP IP Logged
Berzo

Quote Berzo Replybullet Posted: 31 May 07 at 8:38AM
Hi!

I've done all possible things, named before in the forum, to make PDF Redirect work on Citrix, but still fails!Cry

Local printing and merging is ok! When working in a session the merging of pdf-files still works well. Only the printing to pdf doesn't work, because there is no preview; And there is no option to save either.Confused

Someone who has another suggestion? Smile

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 07 at 12:57AM
Hi,

Sorry to hear that it is not working.

What I suggest you do next is to record an error log, and to send me that by e-mail so that I can see what is going on.

Start PDF reDirect, and go into the Preferences, and turn on the error logging feature. Quit PDF reDirect, then try printing a new PDF. Once the window appears again, go back into the preferences, stop the logging, and select the button to view the log, and send that to me.

My e-mail address in exp(at)exp-systems.com.

Hopefully, it will be something obvious.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 07 at 4:26PM
Hi Berzo,

Thanks for the logs. I have noticed two things that seem to imply that it might be a permission problem in your setup. It looks like the preferences file is either locked, corrupted, or missing. It also looks like the printer output file is not being written to the temporary folder.

Here is how you can troubleshoot:

Check the folder here:
\\dgv_file\SpaceUser$\Berthold\NProfile\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Temp\

Does the folder exist?
    Inside, is the folder empty?
    Inside, are there printer output files (example: 035486546.ps)?
    If it is empty, does the user have read/write permission to that folder?

Also, find the preferences file, and delete it as it seems corrupted. That might fix the problem too. The Preferences file should be here:
\\dgv_file\SpaceUser$\Berthold\NProfile\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Temp\Prefs_v2.ini

Please take a look at the above, and let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 07 at 10:09AM
By the way, one more thing. Did you rename the printer? If the printer is renamed, PDF reDirect will stop working just as you described.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 07 at 11:09AM
Another idea: when was PDF reDirect installed? If it was a long time ago (30+ days) and the server was not restarted since then, and PDF reDirect used to work and then stopped working, then there is also a time calculation bug that I fixed in the newest version (v2.1.912) available on the download page on the web site.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Berzo

Quote Berzo Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 9:38AM
I didn't rename the printer and the version I installed is 2.1.11! Thumbs%20Down
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 1:10AM
Hi,

Yes, I think I can help you. There is a time calculation bug in v2.1.11 which is fixed in the newest version (v2.2.1). My recommendation for now:

1. Remove v2.1.11 (via the Add/Remove Control Panel)
    2. Install v2.2.1 (via the Add/Remove Control Panel)
    3. Try again. If it still fails, can you reboot the server? If not, go into the Services Control Panel, and restart the Printer spool service. Then, try again. Does it still fail?

After that, there are two more things we can try.

Sorry for all of the trouble.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version