Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Outlook Email Archiving Post Reply Post New Topic
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Topic: Outlook Email Archiving
    Posted: 02 Aug 11 at 8:49PM
I want to archive all of my emails.

I shall transfer them all into an individual folder, in Outlook 2007, so they can be sorted into date order.

There will be about 5,000 emails at a time.

I want to convert them into a PDF file, including JPG attachments.

I do not wish to do this in batches, i.e. I want to do all 5,000 at one time. 

Has anyone carried out a project like this, and is PDF  Redirect Pro my best bet for this ?

Thank you,

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 12:09AM
Hi,

I gave it a try. I did 300 e-mails, and that took (from beginning to end) 5 minutes and 30 seconds on a Lenovo X201 with 4GB of memory and an i5 processor. The resulting file was 5.4MB (low picture quality), and had 670 pages.

This is how I did it. I selected all the e-mails >> [Right-Click] >> choose "Quickprint". I think that PDF reDirect needs to have been used previously because you will not be asked to select a printer. It worked pretty well in that it sent all of the output in one single file for PDF reDirect to process.

So, to answer your question: 5,000 e-mails has a risk of not working because you may run out of memory in the process. Another problem is that although the PDF should compress to about 100MB, you may find that the (uncompressed) raw printer output file may exceed the 2GB max file size limit if you have  a 32 bit machine.

Good luck: be prepared to wait a long time. Hopefully it will work.

My recommendation: try it in batches of 1,000 (I know you said you did not want to do batches).

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 7:23AM
Hi Michel

Thank you for that.

I think the 2GB file limit may only apply to Fat32 file systems, and in fact may be 4GB, so I shall give it a go as I am on Win 7 and all drives are NTFS.

Thanks again.

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 11:02PM
Hi Ian.

You are right, Fat32 is 4GB, but I believe (I am not 100% sure) that Windows XP will choke at 2.7GB. NTFS is 16EB (Exabytes), so that + Win7 should put you in good shape.

Good luck with your attempt! Let us know how you make out.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 12:35PM
Hi Michel_K17

Well I started at about 2pm today, choosing just short of 3,000 emails, with a considerable number of embedded images and attachments.

I quit at about 4.30pm as an annoying dialog box kept appearing and saying "PDF has been running for 10 minutes, press Yes if you want to keep running it!

Sorry, but I would have expected an over-ride on that, or preferably for it not to appear at all.

I was able to view the Preview box, and approx. 8,500 pages were VERY PERFECTLY there, but it was obvious it had not completed processing.

During the closing down function, I was faced with another dialog box, in fact thousands of them, warning me it was dangerous to open a file attachment etc.

All in all a reasonable result, but to be able to run it properly, the "Running for 10 minutes" interference has to be got rid of or disabled.

Look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Ian
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 9:28PM
Hi Michel_K17

Forgot to ask in my previous post, but do you know of any way to prevent or disable the "10 minute" dialogue??

If there is, I could try running the project again.

Regards,

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 11:10AM
Hi Ian,

I can re-compile the program, with the warning disabled completely if you would like.

Standby for a few hours. I will post a link on the forum a link to the updated program, with installation instructions.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 11:14AM
Hi Michel_K17

That would be great.

The thought of sitting and clicking "Yes" every ten minutes over a period of several hours just does not appeal at all.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 10:05PM
Hi Ian,

Here you go. I extended the timer setting from 10 minutes to 28 days. Click [here] to download the updated application.

Installation instructions:

- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF reDirect
- Rename PDF_reDirect.exe to PDF reDirect.exe.original
- Unzip the downloaded app to the same folder
- Confirm that the new PDF_reDirect.exe is there.

That's it: you should be ready to go.

Cheers!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 11 at 4:48AM
Hi Michel

Many thanks for that.
I have downloaded it, but not yet installed.

I shall setup and run later, leaving it to process through the night, so I may hopefully wake to a completed archive.

I will, of course, let you know the result.

Thanks again,

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 11 at 10:25AM
You are quite welcome. Good luck!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 11 at 6:48AM
Hi Michel

I have the results of last nights trial ready.
Is there an email address I could use, other than the forum, as I would prefer some of the document content not to be shown on the forum pages.
e.g. computer configuration and contents.

Thank you,

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 11 at 3:12PM
Hi Ian,

Sure! My e-mail address is exp (at) exp-systems (d0t) com.

Thanks!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 11 at 7:10PM
Hi Michel

Many thanks for your reply to my "off forum" email.

I have read your comments with interest, and will certainly try the "disabling" of attachment printing next time.

Any advice as to how the unused space on pages, and cropping of images may be overcome??

Best regards,

Ian
IP IP Logged
IanGreen

Quote IanGreen Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 11 at 7:59PM
Hi Michel

Just to let you know that I have just purchased PRO.

Ian
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 11 at 12:56AM
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the order. Smile

So, you have a couple of options (which are contradictory by the way) to fix either of the problems you described. I guess you will need to choose which one is more important to you.
  • Partially used pages. Outlook prints each e-mail on a new page. You could print to a smaller page (say half of a letter page, 5.5x8.5) so that  it would be less likely that a short e-mail would only use half a page. By the way, the blank space on a page uses no memory whatsoever, so I would not expect that the file size would be diminished any. What is really unfortunate is that the ability to print e-mails continuously used to exist as an option, but it was removed for Outlook 2007. See [here] for more info. There is a program called "Blueprint for Outlook" which allows you to print e-mails continuously. It is located [here]. I have not tried it.

• Partial Pictures. You could print to a much larger page (say Tabloid, 11x17)  so that there is more room for the pictures to be rendered. However, for a short e-mail, there would then be that much white space. To prevent that, you can specify in the Print Options a larger font size so that it still appears about right if you ever need to scale the 11x17 to letter page when printing to a physical printer.
   And by the way, you can do unusual things. With PDF reDirect, you can create custom page sizes. For example, you could create a page which is 8.5 inches wise, but 100 inches (or more) long such that each e-mail would always fit on a single page. The issue is that if you ever need to print to a physical printer, you will find it nearly impossible to do.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version