Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Hyperlinks Post Reply Post New Topic
Tom Welsh

Quote Tom Welsh Replybullet Topic: Hyperlinks
    Posted: 09 Apr 09 at 8:24PM
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I am new at using a pdf converter.  I had no trouble downloading, installing, and using pdf redirect.  It's just that hyperlinks in the original word document I tested, while they are underlined in the pdf product, aren't clickable.  Is this normal?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 09 at 1:02AM
Hi,

Not a silly question. The "link" data is not sent to the printer. Basically, think of PDF reDirect as a (virtual) printer. Therefore, some of the underlying information (such as hyperlinks) is not sent by Word to the PDF reDirect (or any other) printer.

PDF reDirect (the Pro version) does give you a couple of options. First, you can convert plain text into clickable links. For example, you can ask it to convert something like www.google.com into a clickable link. You can read about it in the help file [here] (scroll to the "Add Web links" section).

Also, PDF reDirect Pro also allows you to create stamps that may have a hyperlink assigned to them. See [here] for instructions.

Finally, you can create links from Word that look like regular hyperlinks, but it does require a bit of work. [here] is a sample PDF file, and you can download the original Word file from [here].

I hope that helps.

For the longer term, I hope to write a Word-to-PDF converter that will take the link information in Word, and apply that to the PDF so that the process is all automated. Look for that in a future version.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Tom Welsh

Quote Tom Welsh Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 09 at 8:38PM

Thanks, Michel, for answering my question so extensively and in a way that even a non-technical novice like me can understand it.  I followed the links you provided and now I see what you mean.

I really appreciate your help, and your excellent product!

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 09 at 10:20PM
Hi Tom,

You are quite welcome.

Best regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
MenuBar

Quote MenuBar Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 11 at 5:10PM
Here's another way, you have to manually put them in, but it works and is pretty easy:

Print the Word document with hyperlinks to pdf, so you get the the underlining.
. . then, using the free Foxit PDF Reader . . .

Foxit Reader 5.0.2.0718
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Tools / Preferences / Trust Manager / un-check "Enable Safe Reading Mode"

Can't Disable the hyperlink warning message
http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/showthread.php?17899-Disable-hyperlink-warning-message
http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/showthread.php?16061-disable-link-confirmation-popup

----------------------------------------------------

Use the Rectangle Link (page 114 of manual)
http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/foxit/manual/enu/FoxitReader50_Manual.pdf
. . . and lasso the hyperlinked words

Use these settings:
Thickness 0
Highlight - None
Border Style - doesn't matter
Color - doesn't matter
Open a web page - put in the URL

Then using the hand, you have hyperlinks!
IP IP Logged
vinill

Quote vinill Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 12 at 11:42PM
Usually documents are converted into PDF format for printing purposes because of its security. So there is no need to provide hyperlinks, only need to show the underline to make the one who reads to understand that it is a link. But hyperlinks are possible in pfd format also. For that you have create the PDF files using latex packages or something. I think it’s not possible with ordinary converters.

“Read Today, Lead Tomorrow”
IP IP Logged
MenuBar

Quote MenuBar Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 7:48AM
See my post above for instructions, you can make them with the free Foxit Reader
IP IP Logged
MenuBar

Quote MenuBar Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 7:54AM
. . . maybe you're talking about how the pro version of EXP can include them - it can do that . . . if you don't have that program, and just want to add a few, that can be done manually, that's what I'm talking about
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version