Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: pdf redirect doesn't open automatically Post Reply Post New Topic
jlb357

Quote jlb357 Replybullet Topic: pdf redirect doesn't open automatically
    Posted: 14 Jan 09 at 12:14AM
I'm using Vista Basic on my computer along with the latest free version of PDF reDirect.  When I select print, PDF reDirect does not open itself automatically.  Instead, I have to open the program in the start menu.  Upon opening, the program displays my intended project and works fine from there on.  I have tried uninstalling the software and then reinstalling.  Any other suggestions?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 09 at 9:37PM
Hi,

I am sorry to hear of the problem.

I have had other folks occasionally report the same problem, but the feedback that I have received was that the problem was fixed by re-installing the program.

Clearly, that is not your case.

Can I ask when is the last time that you have actually done a true "shutdown" of your computer? The default behaviour for Vista is to get folks to put the machine in standby mode so that the machine turns back on nearly instantaneously. What can happen is that the Windows Print Spooler engine that manages printers can lose it's link with some of the printers. However, if that were the case, the subsequent installation should have failed.

Anyway, try to reboot the computer. If that does not help, then let me know. I have a special version of the Printer Port Monitor (the first program that runs when printing to the PDF reDirect). If we try that, I should be able to send me the logs of what is going on, and I might be able to determine` the cause of the problem.

Best regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
jlb357

Quote jlb357 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 12:17AM
Hi Michel,
You were right to ask about a computer restart.  I don't know the last time I shut it down.  The problem resolved itself by doing a system restart.  Thanks much for your help!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 8:36PM
Hi jlb357,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that it was an easy fix after all.

There used to be a bug in an older version which was my fault, and was causing the program to stop working after 61 days of operation. It was a date/time calculation error on my part which I have since fixed. Basically, this is to say that I do not rule out responsibility for the problem that you experienced (although I have not been able to duplicate it here). For example, I have a server here that has been working for as much as 6 months continuously - with no problem with PDF reDirect Pro.

All this to ask a question: were your other printers working OK when the problem was occurring, or were all printers not behaving? Although anecdotal, it would give me a hint of where the problem might be.

Cheers!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
jlb357

Quote jlb357 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 09 at 11:12PM
Michel,

I'm afraid I cannot give you any help with searching this out as I do not connect this computer to a printer.  Thanks again for your time!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 09 at 1:58AM
No problem. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic