Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Excel Margins Post Reply Post New Topic
cstephenprint

Quote cstephenprint Replybullet Topic: Excel Margins
    Posted: 12 Dec 08 at 11:25AM
Good morning,

I am trying your program out, really like it, but I am having a problem where the bottom rows of some Excel 2007 pages are being dropped.  I have tried changing the margin settings but cannot seem to get all the rows printed no matter what I try.  Do you have any thoughts or ideas?  I searched the forums and found a suggestion to change the paper sizes to match, and I did that with no luck.

Thank you for your help

Craig
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 08 at 2:39AM
Hi,

There are a couple of things that you can check. What is important to remember is that PDF reDirect acts a printer. typically, if there is a problem, it would also occur on a "real" printer as well.

Do the rows appear when you do a "Print Preview"? If not, then I would check to see if the Excel "Print Area" is set to include the missing rows. Since you tried with a larger paper size, I suspect that what I described is the source of the problem.

If not, you can check to see in the Page Setup if the amount of "zoom" is correct. You can try to "Fit" the output so that all of the data appears on the page.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if these suggestions do not make a difference.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
cstephenprint

Quote cstephenprint Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 08 at 7:27AM
Thanks Michel,

I did try all of these settings.  and none seemed to help.  As a test I printed to the real printer and then to the PDF ReDirect tool.  The real printer worked, but your tool cut off about 1" from the bottom.  The paper size is right, the last 3 rows and the footer just don't print.  Seems very weird.  Is there a way I could send you either the pdf and a scan, or the excel file I am trying to get to work? 
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 08 at 7:48AM
Hi,

Yes, by all means. You can send to my e-mail address at exp (at) exp-systems (dot) com.

Please send the Excel file and the PDF please.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 08 at 12:12AM
Hi,

I received the Excel file. Thanks.

It converted OK using Excel 2000.

I remembered that you mentioned Excel 2007, so I went to my other test machine, and I was able to duplicate the problem.

Then I checked the settings. I went to Page Setup, and I did find that one setting on Print quality was blank. I set that to 600 dpi. I then went to Print Preview (looked OK), and then printed to PDF reDirect, and it printed OK.

I am not 100% sure that the print quality setting was the reason, but afterwards, it printed OK for me everytime.

I am leaning towards an Excel 2007 setting problem. Hopefully, by experimenting, you will have the same luck as I have.

I hope that helps. Best regards,

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
cstephenprint

Quote cstephenprint Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 08 at 7:16AM
Michel

I went in and changed the print quality (mine had been at 3600 dpi) to 600 and it printed great.  Is that setting programmable in your activex component or something each end user would have to check? 
Great Product, Great Support.

Thanks again,

Craig
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 08 at 11:04PM
Hi,

My programmable component does not (currently) alllow you to change that setting, although that would be quite possible to implement.

During the installation, the printer is set to 600 dpi, but individual program can specify something different and it looks like Excel selected a higher value for you (and not sure what for me since it was blank).

Therefore, even if you were able to set the printer's setting, it would not do any good if Excel has a different value set. In Excel VBA, I would check to see if that setting can be modified via the print methods.

Anyway, 3,600 dpi even on a standard letter would use a lot of memory - and the partially  blank page shows that the Windows printer spool service ran out.

Glad to hear that you at least we found the root cause of the problem.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version