Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Programming
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Programming
Topic: ActiveX Component Post Reply Post New Topic
mike_k

Quote mike_k Replybullet Topic: ActiveX Component
    Posted: 27 Mar 08 at 11:28PM
Hi Michel,

I have a few questions about using the ActiveX component. I have purchased the pro version of 2.2.5 and am looking forward to using it.

1) From what I've read in another post, to use the ActiveX component in code, I have to use a batch printer. I just want to verify this.

2) If I distribute the ActiveX component it seems that the end user will have to purchase a registered copy of the software anyway. I'm trying to determine if there's any benefit to me distributing the component with my app, or if I should have the end user install PDF reDirect before installing my app. Any thoughts?

3) Related to #2, is there a way for me to purchase another license and install an unlocked version of the component with my app? Or somehow make it easier for the end user to add a full license?

Thanks!!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 08 at 12:02AM
Hi  Mike,

Good questions. Here are the answers.

1) The Batch Printer is indeed normally required if you need to create PDF files. If all you need is to use some of the "utilities" like merging PDF files, then no, the Batch Printer is not needed.

In the sample code I provide, you will see an example of how you can add the Batch Printer "on the fly" via your own code. This means, you do not have to require your user to do that for you ahead of time.

2) What you stated is also correct: each user does require a license. Besides, the component, by itself, would not work. You do need some of the code that comes with the installation of the product (PDF reDirect Pro), particularly, the printer driver, the port monitor, the PDF conversion engine, the PDF file management library, and a few other support libraries. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you have a few options, which other companies have used. For example:
  • Redistribute PDF reDirect Pro "for free" as an additional bonus to your software (which uses the Batch Printer). Your users get the benefit of your software, and the additional value from getting PDF reDirect Pro that they can use for other things. Financially, you get the benefit of purchasing with the reseller discount. You can improve your own profit margin by purchasing additional licenses ahead of time (so you get the "volume discount" applied), and then resell at full cost (or at least with the cost hidden within the price of your own product).
  • If your product is sold for a server environment, and the users make use of a remote automated service, you can consider using the "Server" version of the software ($199). It does mean though that the product must be installed on a server, and the users do not have direct access to the PDF reDirect product (ie via Windows Terminal Services).
  • Option #3 is to purchase an unlimited re-distribution license (e-mail me for  a quote)
  • Finally, the 4th option is to have me make for you a "re-branded" version. I have had three other companies purchase this, and again, this will require me to give you a quote via e-mail.
3) Yes. I have an automated registration system that is available. A minimum purchases of 20 licenses is needed to qualify. Afterwards, you are still responsible for purchasing additional licenses as needed. I will continue providing you with the volume discounted price, and further discount the price as you reach the next level of discount.

I hope that answers your questions. For more specific info, please send me an e-mail at exp [at] exp-systems [dot] com.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
mike_k

Quote mike_k Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 08 at 12:31AM
Hi Michel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will send an email in the next few days about the quotes you mentioned.

The first app I want to use this in will only be used by one person, so I'm just going to have him install PDF reDirect before installing my app.

Does the standard setup package include the ActiveX component? I don't know if the dll was installed by this setup package, or when I installed the VB sample code.

When I registered my version I had to include my name as part of the registration. If I buy another license for my end user, is there a way to license it under his name (even if I purchase it)?

Thanks!!

Mike
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 08 at 1:31AM
Hi,

You are welcome.

The standard package does not include the ActiveX component. It's installed as part of the sample code, but I have a separate download just for the component. It's available on the post where you found the sample code.

Just as a side note: I am reprogramming PDF reDirect to also use the same component. Therefore, it will (eventually become standard), and you will get access to many more functions and tools, basically, you will have access to all the functions that I use for PDF reDirect.

For the registration, you can either enter the name of your customer at the time of purchase so that the proper license is generated automatically. Alternatively, send me an e-mail with the name you want to use after you complete the purchase, and I will issue you with a corrected license. So, either way, we'll get it sorted out, so the short answer is "yes". Smile

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
mike_k

Quote mike_k Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 11:42AM
Sounds great. It will make things easier to have the license in his name, not mine.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version