Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Error Code 100 Post Reply Post New Topic
Renaissance

Quote Renaissance Replybullet Topic: Error Code 100
    Posted: 14 Aug 07 at 9:34AM
I have been using PDF reDirect for a while now, with no problems on my WinME system (256K mem) with WordPerfect 9 without problems, even with huge files with graphics. Then I started getting this error: "Pop90 has caused an error in ADOBE4.DRV. Pop90 will now close."

I "refreshed" my installation of WP9, uninstalled and reinstalled PDF reDirect, upgraded it to v 2.2.5, and updated the ADOBE4.DRV.

Now I get "PDF Engine Error (Error Code -100). File not created."

I don't know of anything that I did that could cause this problem. I added a few TT fonts (and I use ATM for PS fonts.) I had a fixed swap file size of 512MB which I recently changed to 1GB, which, if anything, should have improved performance.

I have recommended PDF reDirect to others, and while I really do not need the features of "Pro," I was so grateful for this program, I was willing to upgrade just to show my appreciation. Now I can't even use it.

The base program is 2.1.11, which was upgraded to 2.2.1, then to 2.2.5.

Anything anyone can do to get my functionality of PDF reDirect back would be greatly appreciated.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 07 at 1:12AM
Hi there,

I am sympathetic to your plight: these kinds of problems are never fun.

Since you are running Windows ME, we could look at upgrading the printer drivers to the last version that was published before support from Microsoft and Adobe was stopped on that version of Windows. However, before we go that far, you should check the "Error 100" posts on this forum. There are two specifically that might help you.

The first post [here] is how to fix the problem for Windows 98. Windows 98 is nearly identical to ME, so this advice is applicable to your computer as well.

The second post [here] is not very specific, but shows how using a registry cleaner has fixed the problem for not only the user in the post, but two others reported similar successes over the years.

Finally, if the problem persists, let me know, and we will try the newer printer drivers next. For the record: error 100 means that the converter was unable to convert the Printer output into a PDF because the printer output either had an error in it, or was garbled.

Best regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Renaissance

Quote Renaissance Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 07 at 12:15PM

Changing how the True Type fonts are sent to PDFR to "Outline" in the Printer Properties had no effect.

I regularly use registry cleaners, both before and after this latest problem.

The original version of ADOBEPS4.DRV (used when everything was working fine) was 4.26.102 . The version installed by the "Adobe Printer Driver Installer" is 4.53.007.

The document in question, used to illustrate how text looks in different fonts, has 2 columns and has 2 different sans fonts and 2 serif fonts on each of 4 pages. The problem occurs whether I print the whole document, or try to print it page by page. The first page of this document usually is converted to PDF, sometimes with 2 additional blank pages, and sometimes with a second page that contains only a single line heading with the rest of the page blank.

I even tried making a new document without columns, but with reduced margins and I still have the same problem -- some of the time. It seems PDFR will print some fonts sometimes and not others. When I printed a document consisting of 6 sentences, each in a different sans font, it worked. One of those sans fonts, when combined with a text font, came out as a different font altogether (the text font came out OK). I can sort of understand why a particular font might not work, but I sure can't figure out why a font would work sometimes and not others. One font, Tempus Sans, prints out as a generic monospaced font with overlapping letters.

Some single page documents with one or two fonts and minimal formatting usually get converted.

What is the "printer memory" setting for, and is the default of 1107 OK?

BTW, I just bought the Pro version, because it was on sale, and I hope to get this problem fixed.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 07 at 1:28AM
Hi,

Thank you for the purchase. Let me know if you want a refund, particularly if I can't fix the problem for you.

I see that you have done your homework on the printer driver front: the latest version is indeed v4.53.0.7. I was unable to locate a document that describes the differences between the two versions, so I cannot comment on whether they are responsible for the problem you are experiencing.

It sounds from your last post that you are having difficulty with one document in particular: is that correct? Are other documents converting to PDF without difficulty? Are you still getting the -100 error?

The fonts are typically converted from the original TrueType fonts to a Postscript Type 1 fonts, and it can indeed cause problems similar to what you are describing in some rare occasions. Therefore, another setting you can try is to make sure that the fonts are sent as "Type42" instead of "outline", and see if that helps.

With respect to the memory question: I have not seen that setting make any difference, particularly since the printer output is written to a temporary postscript file before being converted to a PDF. You can try changing it (to a higher value), but I doubt that it will fix the problem. The definition for that setting (from Adobe) is:

Specifies the amount of available PostScript memory. The available PostScript memory is a subset of your total physical memory. It is usually best to use the default setting, which is determined by your printing-device manufacturer.

Since the conversion is done on a PC, the amount of memory available is not likely to be a limit. You could try 2048 jsut for grins.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 07 at 12:34AM
    It was reported to me by a user that he was having the  "-100" error as well, and he eventually traced it to him using the "AFPL GHostscript" rather than the default "GNU Ghostscript". The error seemed random: sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Once he switched back to "GNU Ghostscript", the problem went away.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version