Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Saving output on the Desktop Post Reply Post New Topic
M--Z

Quote M--Z Replybullet Topic: Saving output on the Desktop
    Posted: 17 Nov 06 at 6:34AM
Why does PDFRedirect not allow to save generated PDF output to be saved on Desktop?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 06 at 10:24AM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear of the problem. PDF reDirect should allow you to save to the Desktop (and, at least, it does for me). The only exception I know is that it may not work if your username or the filename contains any complex fonts (also known as unicode characters). This typically will include languages such as Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.

I see that you are from Poland, and I believe that should not be a problem. I have two questions:
  1. Which version of Windows are you using?
  2. Which version of PDF reDirect are you using (look above the "Save" button in the program).

Let me know the answers to those questions, and I will give you some other instructions you can follow for troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
M--Z

Quote M--Z Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 06 at 5:27AM
Originally posted by Michel_K17

Sorry to hear of the problem. PDF reDirect should allow you to save to the Desktop (and, at least, it does for me). The only exception I know is that it may not work if your username or the filename contains any complex fonts (also known as unicode characters). This typically will include languages such as Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.

I see that you are from Poland, and I believe that should not be a problem. I have two questions:
  1. Which version of Windows are you using?
  2. Which version of PDF reDirect are you using (look above the "Save" button in the program).

2.1.905, but the same is in non-beta version. Windows XP.
The problem is that when I click on for example d: in the "Folders" tree, I get list of all pdf files in the root directory of drive D in "Files" list, but when I click on Desktop Icon in "Folders", nothing changes in "Files" list and PDF Redirect saves output to the last used directory.

Edited by M--Z
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 06 at 10:41PM
Hello there M--Z,

Oops! Sorry for not replying yesterday. I forgot to check the forum for new messages.

Anyway, I do not have a good explanation for you. I would like to check the obvious. Please perform the following:
  1. Start PDF reDirect
  2. Click on the green "Preferences" button
  3. Click the "Generate Log Files" checkbox
  4. Click "OK" and then "Exit" to shutdown PDF reDirect.
  5. Start PDF reDirect (manually via the Start Menu is fine)
  6. Go back into the "Preferences" and turn OFF the "Generate Lof Files" checkbox
  7. Click the "View Log File"
  8. Highlight the text and copy-and-paste the log to me in an e-mail to exp(at)exp-systems(dot)com
  9. I will look at the log, and will let you know if I find anything unusual.

What I will be looking for is to see if your user account is reported properly. On my computer, the log shows my Desktop path as:

"Desktop Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Michel_K17\Desktop" (where "Michel_K17" is my username)

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
M--Z

Quote M--Z Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 06 at 10:45AM
Sorry for not answering for so long; it is a pity that forum doesn't send e-mails when someone responds to one's topic.
My problem is temporarly solved, because I found out that I can set Startup directory to Desktop. However my problem still exists, because when I change directory to any other directory, I cannot return to Desktop without restarting PDF Redirect.
The other problem I encounter is that PDF Redirect do not show links to directories in Folders View. It would be handy if it did, because of for example Network folders to which links may exist on the Desktop.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 06 at 10:39PM
    No worries. You can turn on automatic e-mail notification in the forum one of two ways: either by editing your forum profiles [here] (you need to be logged in), ot by clicking the "Toggle Email notification" link at the bottom of the post if you want to be e-mailed for this post only.

Unfortunately, the Desktop folder is working fine for me here. I can also click on the "Network" folder or any folder on the Desktop (see picture below).

Maybe the problem is that you have turned off the display of these special folders on the Desktop. This is an option which is available with TweakUI from Microsoft. Have you made use of that utility? Also, could you let me know which version of Windows you are using?

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
M--Z

Quote M--Z Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 06 at 11:58AM

No worries. You can turn on automatic e-mail notification in the
forum one of two ways: either by editing your forum profiles [here]
(you need to be logged in), ot by clicking the "Toggle Email
notification" link at the bottom of the post if you want to be e-mailed
for this post only.

How could have I missed it, I cannot imagine.
Unfortunately, the Desktop folder is working fine for me here. I can also click on the "Network" folder or any folder on the Desktop (see picture below).    Maybe the problem is that you have turned off the display of these special folders on the Desktop. This is an option which is available with TweakUI from Microsoft. Have you made use of that utility? Also, could you let me know which version of Windows you are using?
[IMG]http://www.exp-systems.com/PDFreDirect/images/Product_Support/Access_Desktop_OK.gif" />

I will visualise this problem with some screenshots:
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktopgz2.png
On above screenshot we have real content of the desktop.
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diskdym7.png
Here we have content of d:\
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop2ne7.png
Here we have contents of disk d: though we selected Desktop folder
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 06 at 12:20AM
Hi,

OK. I see. Works OK here: when I click on the "Desktop", the "Files" list returns to the proper list of files. So, I went back to my code, and I found the problem. I use a third party control for the Folder dropdown. Unfortunately, my notes say there is a "bug" in their code, and I wrote a workaround in the code that checks for the word "Desktop" and then shows the Desktop content. Of course, your Desktop is called "Pulpit" in your language.

I can try to fix the problem by using the proper text for the selected language. I see from your screenshots that you are running in "English" language. What language is "Pulpit"? I could use that if you chose the appropriate language in the Preferences.

Thanks,

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
lovetski

Quote lovetski Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 06 at 3:22AM
FYI, Desktop is called "Рабочий стол" in Russian.
Andrew.
IP IP Logged
M--Z

Quote M--Z Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 06 at 3:57AM

Of course, your Desktop is called "Pulpit" in your language.   I can try to fix the problem by using the proper text for the selected language. I see from your screenshots that you are running in "English" language. What language is "Pulpit"? I could use that if you chose the appropriate language in the Preferences.   Thanks,

Well, there is no Polish language in preferences.
EDIT: And another problem, but I it is rather wish, not a bug report is that Folder tree doesn't show links. Accessing network folders through Network Neighbourhood may be painfully slow (not to say it doesn't always find apropriate place).
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 06 at 7:20PM
Hi,

Indeed. I find that the fastest way for network access is to map to a drive (is that what you meant by links?).  If you are referring to shortcuts, then you are probably correct and those will not show up. However, mapped drives do work (like "W", "Y" and "X" drives that you setup for yourself).

Yes, I would love to get the program translated to Polish (unfortunately, I do not speak Polish despite my last name being "Korwin-Szymanowski"). Maybe some day, somebody will help me with that task? Smile

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version