Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: WIndows 10 Compatibility Post Reply Post New Topic
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Topic: WIndows 10 Compatibility
    Posted: 03 Aug 15 at 10:21AM
Hello,

As of today, PDF reDirect has not been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10, and we have received two reports that PDF reDirect is installing OK, but not working correctly.

Unfortunately, we have been unsuccessful on installing Windows 10 Tech Preview or the final released version on any of our machines. We have tried on 3 of our 5 test machines, and all installation attempts have failed, with each machine showing different problems and error messages with the Windows 10 installation.

The closest that we got to is "96% Complete" with a sub-message saying "Configuring Settings 85%" on out Surface Pro 3 Laptop. Apparently, this is a common message.

For now, we would like to propose to our users to delay your installation of Windows 10 for the next 30-60 days as recommended by Bruceb here:

http://www.brucebnews.com/2015/07/windows-10-launches-but-not-for-you-not-for-thirty-days/

In the mean time, we are continuing our attempts to install Windows 10, and we might simply purchase a machine with Windows 10 pre-installed. We'll keep you posted on our progress to test PDF reDirect on Windows 10.

What we do know is that PDF reDirect is compatible with the underlying technology of Windows 10, so we expect that PDF reDirect will simply work as is, or may require some simple adjustments to ensure that it works. We are committed to ensuring that we get PDF reDirect works on Windows 10 as quickly as possible.

Best regards,
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 15 at 12:02PM
Good news: we have Windows 10 installed, and testing is going well. PDF reDirect Freeware and PDF reDirect Pro are working fine with no issues.

Here are the detailed results of testing so far.

1. Upgraded a PC with Windows 10, and PDF reDirect worked once the upgrade was completed.

2. Installation on a clean Windows 10 PC went well: no error messages, and PDF reDirect worked well.

3. PDF reDirect Freeware and PDF reDirect Pro were both tested - both worked well with no issues.

4. The only thing we have found so far is that printing from the Internet Explorer replacement called "Edge" fails to print. There are no error messages and the printer output never appears in the PDF reDirect Merge List. We are investigating this anomaly.

5. In addition, we are testing sub-features of PDF reDirect Pro to make 100% sure that everything is working as it is supposed to be. We'll provide an update shortly.

Best regards,

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
ccarasone

Quote ccarasone Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 15 at 2:13PM
We have also installed Windows 10. The upgrade to Windows 10, as well as clean installs of both Windows 10 and PDF reDirect, worked fine.

There is however a small bug we're noticing. When using the 'Last accessed folder' option, PDF reDirect crashes or hangs in the task manager when the last accessed folder is a mapped drive letter to a network location. This does not happen on regular local drives or full server paths (\\server\share). In those case, PDF reDirect acts as it should and goes to the last accessed folder.

I've also installed the 2.5.4 beta version hoping that the bug may have been fixed, but it is still happening in 2.5.4.

For now, I will use the server path rather than the mapped drive letter. Unfortunately, this takes much longer to open up. Printing to pdf now takes 20-30 seconds rather then 1-2 seconds it used to take on mapped drives.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 15 at 7:46PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look and confirm. I agree that this would be an unwelcomed change that needs to be fixed.

In addition, we have noticed that printing from the new Windows 10 "Photos" App. The print seems to go through to the printer, but fail to appear in the Merge List. This behavior is the same as the new Edge Browser. We are running a log to see if we can find root cause.
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 15 at 4:30PM
Hi,

The mapped drive issue (via the quick access folder option) is working fine for me. Can you give me more details on the technology you are using? Is it an Active Directory, or a simple shared folder?

Thanks!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
ccarasone

Quote ccarasone Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 15 at 10:18AM
This is a mapped drive letter to an active directory server share. Drive letter R: points to a server share \\eng02\drawings. Printing to that location is not a problem. The problem is when using the "last accessed folder" option, PDF reDirect crashes. It appears to act differently perhaps related to how deep down a path. When attempting to print to pdf directly to the R: drive, then next print opened the interface, but still did not remember the correct drive. Instead it went to the S: drive. Then next print went to the T: drive. Trying to reproduce the crash, I went to a different sub folder. One folder lower had the same results. A few sub folders lower caused the crash on the next print. Error message was "User interface for PDF reDirect has stopped working" and had the close or debug option. This looked more like a windows error message rather than an internal reDirect error message. After the crash, capture.exe is still running in the task manager. Attempting to reprint will result in crashes, and multiple instances of capture.exe in the task manager. If I end tasks and try to reprint, eventually the UI will successfully be dislayed at which point the user can either choose to use the desktop, or a local path, the full network location in the browser tree rather than the mapped letter. If the network is chosen, everything works as it should other than the 20sec it takes for the UI to appear when printing.

FYI, the full path that cause the crash was:

R:\Projects - Active\2014\PC-0114 Stamford MOB_P.G\Wall Panels

at the server share level that path is:
\\eng02\Drawings\Projects - Active\2014\PC-0114 Stamford MOB_P.G\Wall Panels

just for a length test I created a local path of the same or longer length to see if the local path would fail. It worked just fine:
C:\temp\an even longer path\Projects - Active\2014\PC-0114 Stamford MOB_P.G\Wall Panels

Hopefully this helps. I know how frustrating it can be to track down a bug, especially if it's not reproducible at your end.
IP IP Logged
malkova

Quote malkova Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 16 at 5:46AM
happy to join your community, I was looking for this information!
IP IP Logged
ja-kid

Quote ja-kid Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 16 at 11:23AM
In Windows-10, when you open a PDF document that was created in PDF-reDirect freeware v2.5.2, with multiple documents, none of those documents shows up in the "merge List" window on the left hand side. You only see the first page of the first document (until you scroll) in the "Preview" window on the right hand side. This same version previously worked great in Windows-7.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 07 May 16 at 8:06PM
Hello,

The Left-hand pane only shows folders, and the files are shown in the Right-hand side. I am surprised that it would show the documents for you in the left-side as it does not (for me at least) in Windows 7 on my main PC.

Best,
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
ja-kid

Quote ja-kid Replybullet Posted: 25 May 16 at 8:34AM
I am talking about the lower windows. The lower center (which I called LH side) and the lower RH side not working as they use to work under Win-7. NOT the upper center and LH side, which is what you are speaking about?
IP IP Logged
Villan

Quote Villan Replybullet Posted: 04 Oct 16 at 2:31AM
Originally posted by ja-kifd

I am talking about the lower windows. The lower center (which I called LH side) and the lower RH side not working as they use to work under Win-7. e upper center and LH side, which is what you are speaking about?

Is it WIndows 10 compatible yet guys?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 16 at 4:18PM
Hello,

The current version (v2.5.2) is compatible with Windows 10.

Best regards,

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version