Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Large Word Document Problem Post Reply Post New Topic
baldwin

Quote baldwin Replybullet Topic: Large Word Document Problem
    Posted: 29 Jan 04 at 8:18AM

I have a large word document that I am trying to redirect to a PDF using the free PDF Redirect.  This document is 351 pages with lots of images, it stalls out at 255 / 351 pages and 129 MB / 180 MB.  I am running XP Pro and using MS Word XP.  Any suggestions would be appreciated

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 04 at 9:35PM
   Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with PDF reDirect. The "stress test" that was used to test PDF reDirect had 180 pages with one picture per page. It sounds like you may have exceeded the capabilities of PDF reDirect.

I will perform some troubleshooting on this problem, and report back to this forum in a couple of days. I am currently finalizing the release of PDF reDirect Pro v1.7 which contains two new features specifically requested by customers. I will need to tend to that first, but I will attempt to duplicate your problem right afterwards (sometime early next week).

Edited by Michel_K17
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
baldwin

Quote baldwin Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 04 at 6:46AM

I tried the pro version and it appeared to send the entire 351 pages to the printer, but after the job was removed from the print queue, i got a runtime error '75': path\file access error.  Please advise.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 04 at 5:13PM
Hi,

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the path "error 75": it was a known bug which was fixed at version 1.7.

I did some testing today. I created a very large file with lots of pictures. Both PDF reDirect and PDF reDirect Pro worked to completion. The data that was streamed through the printer was 500 MB in size, and the final PDF size was 42 MB. Performance was slow - about 14 minutes, but that is not surprising considering the size of the document.

Therefore, I believe the final answer on the ability to create extremely large PDF files will largely depend on the capability of the individual computer. My Windows 95 test machine is a 133 MHz Pentium I with 16MB of RAM. PDF reDirect does work but it is very, very slow and cannot handle very large files at all!

Edited by Michel_K17
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version