Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Excel - Print multiple tabs Post Reply Post New Topic
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Topic: Excel - Print multiple tabs
    Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 10:54PM
Hi,

I received the following question today:

how to print to PDF from Excel. I need to print all tabs, but want either 1 PDF per tab, or it to somehow identify the PDF into sections. I realize I can print each tab separately, but I have several spreadsheets with several tabs in each.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 10:56PM
How I do it is I highlight (select) all of the tabs, or the tabs I want to print, and then press CTRL+P. Alternatively, you can, in the Print Dialog, Choose the print the "Entire Workbook".

You should find that all of the tabs will be printed. Each Tab will be started on a new page.

I hope this helps.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
pstage

Quote pstage Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 11:09PM
It does start each on a seperate sheet, but I need some type of identification or header that identifies that as such. These are financial spreadsheets that would just blur together. There is no way to add a heading at the top of each either, as these are exported by our financial system. It needs to be able to pull the heading off the name of the tab or automatically split into seperate PDFs. Is at least the latter possible via automation?
IP IP Logged
yorkshire_lad

Quote yorkshire_lad Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 12 at 3:58AM
In Excel, you can put the sheet name (and various other things including the filename and the date and time) into the header or the footer using  &[Tab]; this would show up on the PDF.  Perhaps your routine that creates the Excel file could include the Excel headers with the sheet name (if the routine can create a sheet name, then presumably it can create a header/footer?).
HTH
Allan (no connection with pdf-redirect other than as a user)
IP IP Logged
pstage

Quote pstage Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 12 at 11:31AM
Unfortunately, this is a very large batch export. That would require a lot of manual effort. I need PDF reDirect to be able to do this for me. :(
IP IP Logged
yorkshire_lad

Quote yorkshire_lad Replybullet Posted: 04 Oct 12 at 6:14AM
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious.
If the batch export is creating the spreadsheet, then it must also be creating each sheet/tab within the spreadsheet.  This is in itself is presumably quite complex.  Therefore adding a tab name, and a footer/header showing the tab name shouldn't be so much more effort?
OTOH, since I don't have the full picture, I may sound a bit simplistic.
IP IP Logged
pstage

Quote pstage Replybullet Posted: 04 Oct 12 at 4:45PM
Yes, I assume it is quite complex. Our EHR system does that. They do add names to the tabs. That is what I want the PDF to print automatically. I can print each tab as a PDF and name it as such. However that's quite a bit of manual work. I just want to print all tabs at once as either one PDF that is separated by headings or something, OR have it print separate PDFs per tab named as the tabs.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 Oct 12 at 11:43PM
Hi,

The other option that I can think of is to write an Excel VBA routine that leverages the PDF reDirect ActiveX component (free download in the Programming section of the Forum). You could have the VBA code add a stamp with the name of the tab on a separator page, or in the corner of each page.

Cheers!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
yorkshire_lad

Quote yorkshire_lad Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 12 at 3:25AM
OK, fair enough.  I've been in situations like that.
However, I can't help feeling that if the EHR export puts names on the tabs inside the spreadsheet, then the EHR export could possibly add headers and footers, and headers and footers can include the tab name, by using &tab, as much as one could print the date/time in the header/footer.
Anyway, I don't know the whole picture, so it's not really fair for me to comment, and I think I better bow out of this at this point!
Hope you manage to achieve what you want!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version