Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: found a bug filenaming with dots Post Reply Post New Topic
Chris_

Quote Chris_ Replybullet Topic: found a bug filenaming with dots
    Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 1:44AM
Hello,

I want to save file names like
2012.08.28.doc, printed / converted in a PDF and I got
2012_08_28.pdf for the new file.

Why does it work in this way with dots?
Can I patch it, we use the pro Version and we want to buy 60 Versions, but not if it doesn't work with dots. Cry
greets
chris

IP IP Logged
yorkshire_lad

Quote yorkshire_lad Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 3:28AM
I always shudder when I see lots of dots being used in filenames, and for more than separating the suffix (e.g. '.jpg', or '.doc').
In pre-Windows days, dots had a very specific meaning (either as a wildcard or a delimiter), and could only be used in certain specific circumstances.
In early versions of Windows, the filenaming (IIRC) was 5.3, then 8.3 (mostly determined by MS-DOS conventions).
Then later versions of Windows allowed free use of dots in filenames.  Windows will generally cope fine in most situations with dots through the filename, but don't be suprised if you come across the occasional unexplained problem, particularly when using those 'dotty' files in other environments or bits of software that are less forgiving/more rigourous than Windows, on based on legacy code than has been transposed into Windows (and may have been conceived in MS-DOS, like data handling software)
I think Michael's solution of substituting an underscore (-) for the dots is admirable.
However, the flexibility of Windows may have created a generation of users who believe the use of dots in filenames is universal, and they have a right to expect it.
To the OP, I suggest you might like to use the dash/hyphen (or underscore) as a delimiter in your filenames: you will encounter fewer problems down the line e.g. when you try and manipulate your files.
I should point out that I have no connection with PDF Redirect other than as a happy user, and I started doing tech support (for various products and companies) about 22 years ago (ouch!) when I cut my teeth on UNIX.
Allan
IP IP Logged
Chris_

Quote Chris_ Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 3:36AM
Hello Allan,
thanks for your explanation.
I am still knowing....

It helps me not to explain people that all the things they can do in Windows are not so good for me as technican, or for the Software or whatelse..

I do the IT and support for over 20 years, too and I know now, never try to change the behaviour of a user, better change the software!

Best regards
Chris

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 10:35PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Yorkshire Lad had the right explanation for why we got there. I have code that automatically subsitutes underscores for "unallowed" characters.

However, since Windows now accepts dots everywhere Smile, I think it would be fair for me to change my code accordingly, so I have added this to my "todo" list for the next version.

Cheers!

Michel
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Chris_

Quote Chris_ Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 11:51PM
Hello Michel,

that is a good message, but can you tell me when the new version is publicated? :-)
Because we can't use it before...

Maybe you want to edit an option to leave or to substitute....

And if you want a good german translation, tell me.
It was sometimes very funny to read the translation of some words.
My english is not very good (only from reading manuals), but the translation is very easy for me.
Wink
greets
chris

IP IP Logged
yorkshire_lad

Quote yorkshire_lad Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 12 at 3:35AM
Chris,
Sie sind besser auf Englisch wie mich auf Deutsch...
:-)
Allan
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 12 at 7:25AM
Not for a while Chris. I am working on another major project, so work on PDF reDirect is making progress, but it is slow. Maybe in a few months.

Cheers!
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Chris_

Quote Chris_ Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 12 at 8:33AM
Thanks for your information,
I think that isn't a good information, cause we can't use it for our business.

Please check if you can't fix it in a patch, like as a Version 2.5.3 ....
in nearer future.
greets
chris

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version