Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Internet Explorer 9 - PDF converting problems Post Reply Post New Topic
Victor

Quote Victor Replybullet Topic: Internet Explorer 9 - PDF converting problems
    Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 10:19AM
Well, since I've installed the Internet Explorer 9 on my desktop, I've could not convert anymore .html into PDF archive without problems. Every time this conversions create junk output or, if not, when I select a text and copy it, the result when I paste it to a Word document is something like that: {[+\[, and other black symbols that I can't type here.

What is wrong here? What can I do to make it possible to paste the text in original font of the .html source? Thank you so much.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 11 at 12:40AM
Hi,

I am not sure. IE9 seems to be working well for me.

Can you give me a sample web address which you know does not work well, and I can take a look to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Victor

Quote Victor Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 11 at 10:47PM
Hi, Michel;

This one, when I convert it to PDF, do not create junk output - you can read it like it really is on the web. But when I try to copy part of the text and paste it to a Word document, then I receive only symbols as result.

Michel, thank you very much for your attention,

Victor.
IP IP Logged
myslinski

Quote myslinski Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 2:05PM
Hello! Excuse me while I get into this conversation because I am in search of solution to the problem of garbled characters after copy and paste. The problem of generating these strange characters has nothing to do with IE9 but with the PDF generation by reDirect in association with the Adobe Reader from what I've seen. Consider this:
1 - I printed an email with the reDirect, open with Adobe Reader, I copy and paste and there were strange characters.
2 - I opened the same pdf with Sumatra and did successfully copy and paste.
3 - I printed the same email with pdfFactory, open with Adobe Reader and Sumatra, in both cases did successfully copy and paste.
In older versions of reDirect I did not have this problem, I think something happened in the updates.
Who can solve our problem?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 12:12AM
Hi Myslinski and Victor,

PDF reDirect (by default) will subset (ie partial) the fonts in the PDF to save space - which may create garbled characters when doing a copy/paste. If you want to prevent this, try to to include the entire font in the PDF - which should then allow for copy and paste.

The setting to change is PDF reDirect >> Preferences >> Properties >> Embed Entire Fonts (larger files).

I hope this helps,

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
myslinski

Quote myslinski Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 2:43PM
Hi Michel.
Thank you for your attention, I experimented with Entire Embed Fonts (larger files) selected and also in combination with the other two options. Unfortunately the problem was not resolved.
Greetings.
IP IP Logged
Victor

Quote Victor Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 8:39AM
Hi Michel and Myslinski;

I experimented too with Entire Embed Fonts (larger files) selected and also in combination with the other two options. Unfortunately the problem remains the same.

Greetings.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 12:41AM
Hi,

I did a bit of research, and all PDF creators are suffering the same problem with IE9. Here is a [link] to a Microsoft forum with more info, but no good solution. A solution is mentioned, but it will result in unwanted font substitution.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this soon.

Kindest regards,

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
myslinski

Quote myslinski Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 9:38AM
Hi
Well, I found this problem with different source documents that IE9, my tests were done to such an email, I do not understand. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 11 at 9:54AM
Hi,

OK, thanks. I tested an e-mail, and that works for me (I use Outlook 2010).

Cheers!

Michel

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Dave

Quote Dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 11 at 9:35AM
Michel, If possible, for the benefit of this software klutz, would you please walk through the preference setting instructions for PDF Redirect Pro for eliminating the copy and paste problem caused by IE9, that would parallel those given in the MS forum you referenced, for Adobe PDF?

[The inability to copy and paste from pdfs made from IE9 is a very serious limitation in my family history work. I've tested Chrome and it does not exhibit this problem, but Chrome does not seem to have sufficient flexibility with respect to page set-up (more specifically, automatically saving source documenation -- website title, website address, date and time of accessing).]

Thanks! Smile
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 11 at 3:54PM
Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, currently, there is no solution as detailed here [link] which shows that all PDF creators are affected by IE9, even Adobe's Distiller PDF creator.

Your best options are to use Chrome or Firefox, for now. Firefox does pretty well in terms of page/printer setup.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
dorsal

Quote dorsal Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 11 at 11:42PM
I too had experienced PDF Pro issues with the Internet Explorer 9 that came along with my Windows 7. I could convert .HTML into PDF only when I shifted to Mozilla Firefox. I would recommend you to change the browsers and see whether the problem persists.
Can We use PDF redirect Pro for resume services, is it a viable option?
IP IP Logged
Dave

Quote Dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 11 at 11:33AM
Michel ~ Thank you for the advice to switch to Firefox. This has taken care of the conversion issues and I've not been unhappy with Firefox at all. Thanks!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 11 at 10:50PM
Hi Dave,

You are quite welcome!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
JAustin

Quote JAustin Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 12 at 12:31AM
I can't agree with Michel K17's assessment that this is strictly a Microsoft problem, because I don't experience it when copying/pasting text from PDF files produced from IE9 pages using Bullzip PDF Printer.
But I do agree that this is only a problem with PDF files producted by PDF reDirect from within IE9; I've experienced no problems copying and pasting text from any PDF document produced by PDF reDirect from any applications other than IE9.

The conversion engine used in Bullzip PDF Printer is GPL Ghostscript Lite 8.70, so perhaps there's something about GNU Ghostscript used by PDF reDirect that IE9 doesn't like? It would be nice if the Conversion Engine drop-down in PDF reDirect's General Preferences section would permit use of GPL Ghostscript.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 12 at 10:07PM
Hi,

In PDF reDirect >> Preferences >> Conversion engine >> Select "AFPL Ghostscript" and then navigate to where GPL Ghostscript is located on your computer.

Thanks for the tip about GPL working. I will definitely investigate this further.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
JAustin

Quote JAustin Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 2:08AM
I just changed the Conversion Engine in PDF reDirect Preferences, as Michel_K17 suggested, and it works great! I can now successfully copy / paste text from PDF files I create from IE9 web pages using PDF reDirect.

I hadn't thought to try this, since the Ghostscript conversion engine used with Bullzip is "GPL Ghostscript Lite 8.70" and I didn't realize that it is either the same as or compatible with the "AFPL Ghostscript" option provided in PDF reDirect.

For anyone who already has Bullzip PDF Printer installed with its standard / default file location (in Windows 7 64-bit), you can point to GPL Ghostscript in C:\Program Files\Bullzip\PDF Printer\gs where the filename is gsdll32.dll. Otherwise, anyone savvy enough to use a product like PDF reDirect will have no problems finding a downloadable copy to try.

Thanks again, and I hope this is helpful to others.

IP IP Logged
myslinski

Quote myslinski Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 1:02PM
Hi Michel.
I have set up PDF reDirect>> Preferences>> Conversion engine>> Select"AFPL Ghostscript" and pointed to "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ reDirect PDF \bin \ gsdll32.dll."
When printing to reDirect get the following error message:
"PDF Engine Error. (Error Code: -100)
File not created "
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 12 at 4:55PM
Hi,

Your best bet first is to stick with the default conversion engine (GNU Ghostscript), or if  you want to try the fix above, you need to:
  1. download either GPL or AFPL Ghostscript,
  2. install it, and then
  3. select it via the Preferences as you tried above, but point to:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\gs8.71\bin
  As you can tell from the example above, I use GPL Ghostscript v8.71, but the latest version is v9.04. You can download Ghostscript as follows:

• Latest v9.04 is [here].
  • Older versions are [here]

IMPORTANT: Download and install the 32 bit version of Ghostscript even if you have a 64bit machine. This is because the calling engine from PDF reDirect remains a 32 bit app.
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
myslinski

Quote myslinski Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 12 at 11:48AM
Hi Michel.
GPL Ghostscript V9.04 installed as indicated and success.
reDirect is generating PDFs and copy and paste operations are working.
Could you tell why he said: "Your best bet is first to stick with the default conversion engine (GNU Ghostscript)". What are the implications? Can a brief explanation?
Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 12 at 10:50PM
Hi there,

Not knowing your experience level, and ability to install/remove software, or navigate to the "bin" folder, I thought that sticking with the default engine was your "best bet" - although this would not have addressed the IE9 problem for you.

Probably not a very good choice of words on my part. Smile

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
myslinski

Quote myslinski Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 12 at 4:55AM
OK Michael, thank you.
Greetings
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version