Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: PDF Redirect v1.2 Post Reply Post New Topic
dsharp

Quote dsharp Replybullet Topic: PDF Redirect v1.2
    Posted: 08 Sep 04 at 1:28PM
When trying to print to a pdf file I receive the following error message: PDF Generator (Ghostscript)Error Code -100 File not created.

PDF Redirect has worked on my PC in the past. What has happened?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 04 at 7:41PM
   Sorry to hear about the difficulty you are experiencing.

We have had occasions where this error can occur if you have another PDF "virtual printer" (such as PDF_995, or others) installed on your system, and that software was used just prior to using PDF reDirect. If you used one of those software first and then use PDF reDirect, you may experience this problem (see the FAQ in the help file). If that is the case, simply reboot, and try PDF reDirect again, and it should work.

If that is not case, I would re-install PDF reDirect to see if that fixes the problem. You do not need to remove it: it is OK to re-install over the provious installation.

If that is still not the case, we will require more information such as:
- CPU (Intel or Athlon)
- Speed of the CPU
- RAM
- Version of Windows

In addition, can you confirm if this error occurs all of the time, some of the time, or rarely.

Finally, what kind of document are you trying to print? A large or a small one. Which software are you trying to print from? (Word? Excel? other?)

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
dsharp

Quote dsharp Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 04 at 7:26AM
Thank you for the prompt reply. I apologize for not including more detail.

I have rebooted and still am experiencing the same issue. I am not aware of installing a virtual printer (PDF_995). How could I check and then remove the conflicting printer?

I am running a Pentel Pentinum III 1,066 Mhz CPU, with 392,560KB RAM on Windows 2000 service pack 4.

The error occurs every time. I have tested various applications such as MS Excel, MS Word, Notepad and Internet Explorer. The documents I have been attempting to print are small in size (less than 3 pages).

Thank you for your help. I really like this product and hope we can figure this one out.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 04 at 10:11PM
Hi,

Thank you for all the information, and the good words about PDF reDirect. The information you provided was very useful. From what you've said, it is clear that "something" has changed with your computer which is causing the error. It is not your hardware, as it seems plenty powerful for creating PDF files.

I was thinking that perhaps you were using a less common software which was causing the problem, but that is clearly not the case.

You do not seem to have any conflicting printers (ie I would assume that you would have remembered installing one if you did), but if you want to be sure, click on the "Start" button, scroll to "Settings" and then choose "Printers". Look to see what are the printers you have installed. Do you have any other "PDF" printers installed apart from PDF reDirect?

Assuming that you do not: please re-install PDF reDirect v1.2.3. Once the installation is complete, try to create a PDF again (no need to reboot - it should work).

If that still does not work: try the following:

1. remove PDF reDirect (there should be an "Uninstall" program in your "Start" -> "Programs" -> "PDF reDirect" menu. If it is not there, you can also remove it via the "Add/Remove Programs" Control Panel.

2. Reboot

3. Re-install PDF reDirect.

4. Try to create a PDF.

If this does not work (sigh) you have one more option: If you have Windows XP, you can "rollback" the configuration of your computer to a date where you know that it was working fine. This Windows XP feature is turned on by default, and can be useful to fix problems of this nature. That being said, I would consider this a measure of last resort, and if you installed other software recently, that software may be removed or cease to function when you "rollback" the computer. My recommendation is that if you are not sure of what I am talking about, you should seek the help of a professional who may have an easier time doing this.

Hopefully you will not have to get to that last step.

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 05 at 10:54PM
The problem seems to occur with PDF reDirect v1.2.

PDF reDirect v2 and PDF reDirect Pro v2 contains the same code as PDF reDirect Pro v1.7, for which there have been only one report of such a problem.

If anybody else experiences this problem with v2, please turn on "Error Logging" (in the preferences), and then send me a copy of the error log after you have duplicated the problem. We are looking for an explanation of what is going on.

You can send the error logs automatically by clikcing on the "Submit a Bug Report" button in the preferences.

Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version