Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Programming
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Programming
Topic: ActiveX error - Terminal Server Post Reply Post New Topic
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Topic: ActiveX error - Terminal Server
    Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 10:16PM
Hi Michel -

We've been hitting an error at our favorite client that I'm hoping you have an answer to.  Running on Term Server, in the Convert2Pdf() function of your sample code, at the line:

TempBool = .Batch_Printer_Save_Settings(MyBatchPrinter)

it's returning False and then in the error handler:

An Error Occured: Could not find any Batch PDF settings files in Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\rnelson\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Batch_Printers\

Error Number = 110

DLL Error Number = 0

It's weird because we saw this previously on one Term Server for some users (not for me) but now see it on a new Term Server, apparently for everyone (me included) - although there are few users on the new TS so we don't have much data.  We understand that it's looking for the BatchPDF.ini file, which is indeed missing.  It sure looks like this has something to do with user permissions, but I'm able to create files in that folder manually, so it doesn't really add up.  Help!!

thanks -
Rick N.

IP IP Logged
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 10:25PM
Hi Michel -

Sorry - forgot to mention - if I manually create a BatchPDF.ini file in the folder, it then seems to work fine - so it appears to be just the initial creation of BatchPDF.ini that's failing.

thx -
Rick
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 08 at 11:33AM
Hi Rick,

You stumbled on the workaround yourself: well done. Therefore, do you need a fix right away, or can you wait until the next version.

This is what I will do with the next version (v2.3.0): I will add
  • the ability to apply a Batch Printer to all users when a new batch printer is created,
  • the ability for the administrator to restrict users from making changes, and
  • fix the bug that you described.
   Thanks for bringing this up to my attention.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 08 at 12:28PM
Hi Michel -

I'm afraid I'm too confused at this point to know what's the best thing to do.  This problem seems to be so inconsistent that I don't know what the root cause is, although it has seemed to be user related, and I didn't think it was a PDFR bug.  Your message implies that you understand the underlying cause; if so, can you please clarify? 

We're currently trying to get this fixed on a test Term Server for about 8 users; after that we need to get it working on the production TS for about 50 users.  So I guess our manual workaround is OK for the test TS, but it's not clear if we'd need to write a script to create the INI file for all users on the production TS, or if it would be better to get the new version from you - although then we'd have to do another round of testing before deploying.  If you do have a quick fix, please let me know.

By "apply a Batch Printer to all users when a new batch printer is created" do you mean when PDFR is initially installed?  Then would any users added later automatically have access to it?  I'm also not clear on why the ability for the administrator to restrict users from making changes would be important.

Whew!

thx -
Rick
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 08 at 1:09AM
Hi Rick,

Yes, the INI file is initially created in the user's AppData folder which was used to create the Batch printer. For all other users, the INI file is missing, and, if you try to use the Batch printer from any application - it will give the user the full PDF reDirect Pro user interface.

However, if you use the ActiveX component to create (or modify) the INI file, then it should work. So today, I went back to test my code to look for that bug, which I assumed in my post yesterday, would be there. What I found is that for a new user, the "Prefs_v2.ini is missing. In that file is the setting that tells whether or not the program is in "Professional" mode. If it is not (the default if the file is missing), then it will fail with an error message which is different then what you are experiencing. So... I need to fix this as this will trip you up (eventually).

The error you are experiencing is probably from the following code which you might have from my demo code:

' Load the Printer settings (optional if you plan to change them all)

TempBool = .Batch_Printer_Load_Settings(MyBatchPrinter)
        ' Skip changing settings if an error occured
        If Not TempBool Then GoTo Error_Occured

If you comment out the error checking (the last line in code segment above), it will get you through the error 110, but you will likely get tripped by the next error in my ActiveX (if the Prefs_v2.ini is missing).

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense. I can give you an updated ActiveX component fairly quickly to work around the missing Prefs_v2.ini problem.

Rick: you are going to have to remind me: did I provide you with a registration datafile when you purchased the product?

Best regards,

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 08 at 10:00AM
Hi Michel -

You're staying up too late! (and I'm getting up too early...)

Yes, that does make more sense now; I still don't fully understand the issue but will take time later to delve into it more - test with that error checking line commented out, etc.  It sounds like an updated ActiveX component would be good; when do you think it would be ready?

Yes, you gave our client a registration datafile back in July or Aug.

thanks!
Rick
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 12:00AM
Hi Rick,

Yes, definitely stayed up too late last night... as I am working on the new v2.3.0 of the software. No changes that will affect you as it is all User Interface improvements. Smile

[Here] is the updated (v2.2.8) ActiveX component that fixes the bug that occurs when the Prefs_v2.ini file is missing for a new user. The new code ensures that if the datafile is found, then the ActiveX component stays in "Pro" mode.

This updated ActiveX component, in combination with commenting out the line of code I discussed earlier, should address the issue of new users using the Batch printer for the first time.

Fingers crossed, but this should do it for you.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 1:16AM
Hi Michel -

Thanks, looks like that works!  I've deployed it on the client's test TS and it works for me; hopefully we'll get some user tests tomorrow to confirm all is well.

Once we get this issue behind us we'll need to decide whether to stick with PDFR 2.2.6 or move up.  When do you expect to get 2.3.0 released?  Any advice for us?

thx -
Rick
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 7:12AM
Hi,

Great news.

No reason to upgrade, whether to v2.2.8 or to v2.3.0 (2-3 more weeks) unless your users will also use the main "PDF reDirect Pro" printer.

This is because all the changes and extra features are in the main program (there is nothing new in the ActiveX component).

Good luck with your test with the users!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 9:55AM
Hi Michel -

The users do use the main PDFR printer, so I'm thinking we should move up to 2.2.8 now while we're still testing.  Have you seen any problems with moving from 2.2.6 to 2.2.8 or should that be straightforward?

thx -
Rick
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 8:28PM
Yes, definitely go for v2.2.8. The upgrade is minor and easy to install as there are no changes to the printer driver. You can download the upgrade from [here].

The full install is [here].

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version