Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Reader 7 nor Reader 9 opens Post Reply Post New Topic
mhedlof

Quote mhedlof Replybullet Topic: Reader 7 nor Reader 9 opens
    Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 3:32AM
CryCry Neither Adobe Reader 7 nor Adobe Reader 9 installed on our system opens the pdf files when in PDF reDirect.  The box is checked "View in PDF Reader after savings", but it does not open.  Anyone have a cure?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 10:21AM
Hi,

I am sorry to hear of the problem.

That option uses the Windows API command "ShellExecute" such that the default program associated with the ".pdf" extension is used. One thing that you could start with is to check and see what program is currently set.

To do that, start Windows Explorer and then choose the "Tools" menu, then "Folder Options". Then, select the "File types" tab, scroll down to "PDF". Below the list, you will see what program is used to open the file. Make sure that it is set to the program you want (ie Adobe Reader v7 or v9), then save your changes.

Once set, it should work OK (hopefully). If it still does not work, please let me know and I'll do a bit of research to see if there is a reason why.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 08 at 9:18AM
I received the following update via e-mail.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.  However, I had already tried that.

I had to uninstall and reinstall the Nuance program PDF Converter Pro 5 and uncheck the box, "use as default pdf reader".  Hopefully that information will help someone else should the problem come up again.

IP IP Logged
Gene5M

Quote Gene5M Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 9:44AM
I have a similar experience.

Earlier, clicking a page in the Preview pane would start AA Reader.  But during a fight with spreadsheet Quattro Pro (truncated output when I used any PDF print drivers), I tried the massive Adobe Acrobat 9 trial package, then dropped it when I found that the Quattro Pro feature, Publish to PDF, still produced perfectly usable output.  Windows (XP Pro, SP3) Remove Program on Adobe Acrobat 9 hung at 'Removing Print Spooler', so found a hammer (Revo Unintaller) to complete the removal.

Since then, the PC had no association for PDF files until I reinstalled Reader 9.  But even now, we get no Reader view on Preview pane click or on pdf file Save, even after I manually re-associated PDF files via Windows Explorer .. Tools .. Folder Options as described in a previous post.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 08 at 6:28PM
Hi,

I would try re-installing the Adobe PDF Reader as the next step just in case the removal of Acrobat messes something up. It's a shot in the dark, but that's all that comes to mind. Also do a reboot after the installation (just in case).

I hope that works.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Gene5M

Quote Gene5M Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 3:16PM
Oh no, Michel, that's too much work, I thought. But a few days later I did try re-installing the Adobe PDF Reader 9. That step relinked the PDF reDirect software, and later I noticed that .pdf files finally again show Type as Adobe Acrobat Document. So you were right!   
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 12:18AM
Thanks for the update: I am glad to hear that it's working now. Smile

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic