Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Network Problems. Post Reply Post New Topic
Free Citizen

Quote Free Citizen Replybullet Topic: Network Problems.
    Posted: 20 Mar 07 at 3:33AM
Hi there, new to the forum. First of all, I would like to say what a great product this is. I wouldn't mind if the creator make some money out of selling advertising space on the interface. So long as there is no spyware and the advert does not detract, I think it is okay. Okay, here is my problem. I have created a pdf file using PDF reDirect and saved it on a Shared Folder. However, I can't seem to open this file from another station in the network. I can open all other files but not these newly created pdf files. Why is this? I am on Windows XP.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 07 at 12:44AM
Hi,

Thanks for the kind remarks! Smile

Nope: no advertising. I decided a long time ago that I would keep the whole program clean, and not access the internet unnecessarily to access new ads.

You are not the first person to report the problem of not being able to access the PDF files from shared drives. I was unsuccessful in the past at finding the cause, mostly because I was not able to duplicate the problem.

Nonetheless, you post got me inspired to do some additional research. Eventually, I was able to duplicate the problem, and finally, I have found a difference in the PDF security setting that might explain everything. In Windows XP, basic (actually called "simple") file sharing is setup in such a way that remote computers access the shared folders using the guest account. And, although the settings for the folder allows guests to access the folder, PDF reDirect writes the actual PDF files to the drive in such a way that it does not explicitly allow guests to have access to the PDF file (even if the folder allows it).

So, that's the good news: I finally have some understanding of what is going on. I will start looking at my code to see if there is an easy fix, and will report back in a couple of days.

A workaround is to make a copy of the PDF to a new file using Windows Explorer. That copy should be remotely accessible.

Thanks for the post!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 07 at 12:12AM
Hi,

Good news: I think I have a handle on the problem.

I thought that the problem was that my program (somehow) was writing files with restrictions that prevented Guest access. But, I was wrong.

The real problem, as it turns out is that the printer postscript output file is written to your user's account "Application Data" folder and therefore "inherits" (courtesy of Windows) the restrictions of your user account. Any PDF file afterwards also has the same restrictions. It looks like I will need to add code to change the security settings of the final output PDF file to allow guests to read the file if it is copied to a shared folder.

Anyway, I will give my theory a try tomorrow, but things are definitely looking up!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Free Citizen

Quote Free Citizen Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 07 at 7:48AM
Hi Michel,

Thanks for looking into this. I think it has something to do with the way the NTFS in Win XP works. I could have sworn I saw a comment "(secured)" on the pdf file that I created or opened. But I can't seem to replicate that. I don't know if it will help furhter but here are some more observations using PDF reDirect through a network;
  1. There is no way to make a copy of a pdf file created on another station, not even through Windows Explorer; access denied,
  2. I can however, go back to that station and copy the pdf file using Windows Explorer into the Shared Folder of another station where it can be open, strange huh?
  3. I can make a pdf file from any Shared Folder of another station, save it in that station's shared folder and can access it,
  4. Adobe Reader have a command, "Save a copy" that I can use to make another copy in a new sub folder and it can be accessed by any other station.

Incidently, Adobe Reader have a command where the document's security properties may be displayed. Well, do let us know when this security thing is worked out.

About the advertising idea, you should really reconsider. Instead of hoping to pocket from a handfull of users who would interested enough to try the Professional version, why not give it away free and increase the user base. Some of the most popular freeware have a user base in the hundreds of millions. When you have that kind of number you could approach say Google and tell them you have got an audience of a hundred million and people would use your product multiple times a day. I believe even Google would be interested in just 10% of your interface space. Will users be put off by it? I think not. Look at DAP, it has an Ad space at the bottom yet it is still registering new downloads. It is by far the top product of any download manager. Think about it.

T-H Lim
Georgetown, Penang
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 07 at 11:49PM
Hi T-H,

Yes, you were correct. It is indeed the NTFS File Security System. I have tested my new code on Windows XP, and it works perfectly now. I still need to test on Windows 2000 and Windows Vista, and then incorporate the code in the latest beta vesion of PDF reDirect.

So, if you wait a few more days, you should have that problem completely fixed! Smile

Oh, and thank you for your additional comments on advertising: I will rethinking my position on the whole thing.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Free Citizen

Quote Free Citizen Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 07 at 6:05AM
Hi Michel,

Glad to see you are solving the problem. I am looking forward to the upgrade. As for the Ad thing, I don't know if you use torrent files. Well many do and by far the most popular interface is BitComet, over 40 million users. Their latest version has an Ad window added to the interface. It does not detract and can be switched off by the user. But I keep it on as a way of saying thanks to the BitComet team. Who knows, I might even support one of their sponsors. There are a few grouses from users of course but I think I represent the silent majority who just is not bothered at all by the addition of the Ad window. In fact I even wrote a comment to encourage them on.

Another novel idea of marketing is one offered by the auto magazine Winding Road. I am an auto buff so such a high quality online magazine that is made available to readers for free is a god send. All that is needed to subscribe is a name and a valid e-mail. Of-course you are forced to see Ads as you normally do if you were to buy an auto magazine off the shelf but I don't mind, Some of these Ads are quite interesting and even informative some times. You see, my subscription is valuble to Winding Road in that I represent a member of their audience in which they rely on to sell their magazine to advertisers.

Well, good luck with your venture.

T-H Lim
Georgetown, Penang
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version