Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Merge won’t work Post Reply Post New Topic
Monty

Quote Monty Replybullet Topic: Merge won’t work
    Posted: 19 Jun 06 at 12:15PM
I have PDF Pro on Windows XP. When I try to merge two PDF files (both of which I created on PDF Pro), I get the message "An error occured. The PDF file was not created properly. One of the files in the merge list is missing or encrypted." But both files are present, and neither is encrypted. What am I doing wrong?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 06 at 7:59PM
Hi,

It's probably me, not you. Could you send me the two PDF files to my e-mail address (if it is nothing that is "secret")? I can take a look and hopefully find out what is going wrong.

Thanks!

Michel
IP IP Logged
Monty

Quote Monty Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 06 at 12:22PM

I'll be glad to send them. But I'm embarassed to say I've lost your email address, and can't find it here on the site. Please email it to me, or post it here?

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 06 at 1:48PM
Hi,

My e-mail address is exp_at_exp-systems.com

Thanks,

Michel
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 06 at 8:54PM
Hi there Monty,

I received the two PDF files. Thank you. I was able to duplicate the problem (ie they would not merge). Upon further inspection, I found that both files are locked to prevent printing and/or modifying. That is the reason why they will not merge.

Simply ensure that the PDF files are not locked and then they should merge just fine.

You asked if you would be able to merge larger files. The answer is yes: the merge process is extremely fast and consists of simply adding the content from one PDF to the other. There are no complex operations going on. At worst, it might take a few seconds to perform the operation if the files are really large, depending on the speed of your computer.

Cheers!

Michel

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Monty

Quote Monty Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 06 at 11:47AM
But I want my PDF files to be locked so they can't be printed or copied. Can I do the locking after I merge? I'll try that and see if it works....
IP IP Logged
Monty

Quote Monty Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 06 at 12:39PM

I unlocked the files so they can be printed and copied, and was able to merge them fine.

But then I tried to lock the new merged files and could not.  I opened the newly merged file in the merge list, and saved it with the security set to not allow printing or copying. But when I looked at this merged file, it still permitted print/copy. The security setting indicated that print/copy was prohibited, but in fact it was not.

In fact, now I can't lock any file. If I open one of the files I sent you, which was now set to permit print/copy, and save it with print/copy prohibited, the new saved copy still allows print/copy.

You have a very confused customer here, though I greatly appreciate your patience and help.

Incidentally, my Document Security page doesn't look like the one you show above. It has phrases with boxes for check marks.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 06 at 12:16AM
Hi there Monty,

Check to make sure you have at least v2.1.10 of PDF reDirect Pro. About 3 months ago, I issued a bug fix which might cause the "locking" feature not to work at every second attempt to use it. The upgrade to v2.1.10 is [here]. To check what you currently have, start PDF reDirect Pro, and look at the version number located in the blue bar above the "Save" button.

The picture of the security settings I posted above is actually taken from the PDF Reader, after the changes have been applied. For example, if you have a PDF file in the "Merge List", and you click on the "lock PDF File" option, the file in the Merge List will not be instantaneously get locked: you still need to give an output file name and then click on the "Save" button. The new PDF file created will then be locked.

Finally, the "security settings" window in PDF reDirect Pro is where you choose how you want the PDF locked. (ie select which restriction you want to apply). It is not a reflection of the status of the PDF file.

I can see how all of this might be confusing. Have you looked at the step-by-step instructions in the help file? Maybe that might explain a bit better. The instructions to lock a PDF file are given [here].

Cheers!

Michel

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Monty

Quote Monty Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 06 at 12:26PM

I have v2.11.1

I'm able to lock and unlock now. I think my trouble was that I ignored the "lock PDF file" check box on Security. I just clicked the check mark, and then put checks in the boxes which turned up. Didn't realize the "lock PDF file" on Security was the key.

I still can't figure out how to get the security settings box that you show above. You say it comes "from the PDF reader, after the changes have been applied." By the PDF reader do you mean
Acrobat Reader, and if so what do I click to see that box. If not Acrobat, where do I find it on PDF Redirect?

You're right, I should have figured it all out from your help file. I'll try to use that file first in the future.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 06 at 10:58PM
Hi there Monty,

Yes: the screenshot shown is taken from Adobe's PDF Reader v5.0.5. Simply go through the menu "File" and then "Document Security".

In PDF Reader v7.0, Select the "File" Menu, the choose the "Document Properties". In the Wwindow that appears, click on the "Security" tab.

I never thought of adding that kind of a status window in PDF reDirect, but I could. I have added that feature to my "todo" list for a future version. Thank you for asking.

Bye,

Michel
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version