Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: PDF not created when printer is renamed Post Reply Post New Topic
D2011

Quote D2011 Replybullet Topic: PDF not created when printer is renamed
    Posted: 16 Feb 06 at 9:31PM
Hi

I must be doing something fataly wrong trying to use this program.

1) Goal:to create a pdf
2) e.g In adobe or cute pdf or Pdf 995 I simply choose the document I want to convert to a pdf, click print, it ask me for a location, I now have a pdf.
3)I try to do the same with pdf redirect & it says "you have nothing to merge".........?

I am not trying to merge anything, I am just trying to create a pdf. What am I doing wrong?

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 06 at 9:37PM
Hi there,

It might just be that you need to reboot the computer after installing PDF reDirect for the first time. For a few people, the PDF output will not appear in the Merge List when trying to use PDF reDirect right after installation.

The way it is supposed to work is that you select "Print" and the PDF reDirect Window appears, and in the Merge list, you should see one new PDF called "Printer Output". Then (optionally), you can add other PDF files if you wish to combine the latest PDF output with existing files. Once you are ready, then you can click the "Save" button.

Try rebooting. If it still not working, please let me know and we will try something else.
IP IP Logged
D2011

Quote D2011 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 06 at 9:41PM
Thanks for your quick reply.

Ahh, ok, unfortunately it is a server with over 100 users working on it.

I will have to wait until tonight to reboot & try that again.

Thanks for your help.

D
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 06 at 9:51PM
Hi D,

One more thing: it could be something else. If you or users have names which contain "complex characters" (also known as "unicode characters"), then you will have the same problem. For example, this will occur if the username contains any Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Cyrillic characters. The user's "Application Data" folder is used to store the user's preferences and the temporary PDF output file. Unfortunately, my program has difficulty handling "unicode" characters and will fail to access the data properly if that is the case.

Let me know if that is the case for you.
IP IP Logged
D2011

Quote D2011 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 06 at 9:57PM
No, all the users have average english names.

I have not given access to any other user besides myself while I test it.

So maybe I am doing something wrong?

This is what I am doing.

1) I have a word doc open
2) I click file\print & choose pdf redirect
3) It opens up a redirect splash screen & down the bottom has my file name in the text field next to "save"
4) I choose "save" & it say "You have nothing to merge"

I might see if I can co-ordinate a reboot to test it out if there is no other way.
IP IP Logged
D2011

Quote D2011 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 06 at 11:13PM
Ok, I think I found the problem.

After installing it the first time, I renamed it to something that would be more familiar with.

So I called it "PDF writer".

This is when it didnt work for me in the first place.

You must have something written into the software that disables the functionality of the program upon name change, as I uninstalled it, rebooted & installed it again & it showed up as pdf redirect. I tried a pdf & it worked.

So I went to change the name again to pdf writer & it had lost all its functionality again. I dont think I can try my luck with a second reboot.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 06 at 12:24AM
Hello,

Actually, I do have the name of the printer "hardwired in the code". This is because PDF reDirect Pro (which uses the same code) also supports "batch PDF printers" which the user can name anything they want. Therefore, I had to get specific about the name for the "normal" PDF reDirect printer.

I don't think you need to do a reboot: you can try doing a "restart" of the windows print spooler service. Hopefully that is something you are familiar with. Basically, it is Start Menu >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services. Then select the "Print Spooler" service and finally click the "Restart" button.

Cheers!

Michel
IP IP Logged
D2011

Quote D2011 Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 06 at 1:38AM
Thanks Michel for all the help.

Yes, resetting the print spooler DID fix it.

I had to reset the print spooler a few times actualy on installation, as I got 2 different errors on install. error 50 & 1722. Reseting the spooler fixed this.

I have left the name as is for the time being & am not game to change it. So are you saying, I cannot change the name at all?

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 06 at 12:11AM
   I have checked my code, and you are correct: you cannot change the name of the printer. If you do, the user interface might show up, but the PDF will not be created.

I agree that this is less than ideal: I will look at making the logic of the program more tolerant in the furure.
IP IP Logged
D2011

Quote D2011 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 06 at 7:19PM
Thanks, yeah, i should have tested it without making any changes to begin with, but didnt think a name change would impact so much.

If it was for my personal use, i would be happy with the name, but when you have multiple users who are set in their ways & dont like change, its sometimes easier to let them use a name they are familiar with.

The server I am running it on is a windows 2003 terminal server. The client USED to have adobe pdf writer, but for some reason it just keeps getting corrupted, stops working, blah blah blah, so am looking for an alternative.

Now that I have redirect working, it seems to do the job nicely. Ulimately, it will be the users who will decide, but I am happy, thanks for the help.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version