Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Progress Bar Post Reply Post New Topic
Bob(Scotland)

Quote Bob(Scotland) Replybullet Topic: Progress Bar
    Posted: 17 May 05 at 6:18PM

I'm currently trying out the free version of PDFreDirect. Everything works fine on the first computer I installed on, XP Pro SP2, but a subsequent installation on my laptop, XP Home SP2, behaves differently.

When I select 'save' the progress bar moves to about 20% fairly quickly, at which point the pdf file has been saved and is available to open, but the progress bar continues to move VERY SLOWLY till it reaches 100% after several minutes.

Just to see what would happen I also installed on a Win98 SE machine with the same result.

Weird, I know, but hoped you might have some idea what's happening. Otherwise I'm impressed.

Bob

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 May 05 at 10:25PM
Hello Bob!

Scotland huh? Cool. I visited a small portion of Scotland in 1989 whilst on a business trip.

The problem you are describing is unusual, and seems to imply that the "Engine" portion of the code works fine, but that the "User Interface" has either crashed, or is not recognizing that the output file has been created. Are you being forced to use the "CTRL-ALT-DEL" to stop the program?

Your best bet at this point is to use the "error logging" feature which will record what is going on. Afterwards, you can submit a "bug report" which will include the error logs. This feature is part of PDF reDirect Pro, so go ahead, click on the advert button, and "activate" the Professional version of the program.

Once there, click on "Preferences" and turn on the error logging. Exit the program, and try creating a couple of PDF files (at least 2 please). Hopefully you will not need to use "CTRL-ALT-DEL" to stop the program as it may cause the log files not to be created. We'll keep our figures crossed for now.

OK, once we've "recorded" a couple of sessions, restart PDF reDirect Pro (manually, via the Start menu is fine), and click on "Preferences", then click on "Submit a Bug Report". Fill out the form, and submit the report to my server. Afterwards, you can return to the free version if you wish by choosing the "Startup" option as "PDF reDirect (basic)".

I will report back to you on anything I might find.

I've got a couple more things to pass on, so send me an e-mail when you have a chance (see the "About us" page for my address).

Cheers!
IP IP Logged
Bob(Scotland)

Quote Bob(Scotland) Replybullet Posted: 18 May 05 at 2:51PM

Michel,

Many thanks for your VERY prompt reply. That alone is enough to convince me to buy your product!

Your invitation to try the Pro version of the program by clicking on the advert button has solved my problem - I couldn.t find an advert button so I went a-looking and discovered that I was using an old copy of the software, v.1.2.4 .  Quite how, I don't know, I thought I had clicked on the correct download link, but never mind, I've installed v.2.0.15 and all is well.

Folks - the prog is great - the support is great - this is THE answer to creating pdf's.

Bob(Scortland)

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 05 at 10:03PM

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the kind words, and the order.

v1.2.4 is indeed available to download, in the "free software" section of the web site. Some folks with slower computers benefit from the lower footprint which that older version provides.

Michel

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version