Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Multiple Page Sizes in one PDF Post Reply Post New Topic
Gomez79

Quote Gomez79 Replybullet Topic: Multiple Page Sizes in one PDF
    Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 8:40PM
I'm having a problem, in that I need to create a PDF whose pages are of different sizes. I do that in Word by creating different sections and modifying the size of the pages. The problem is that PDF reDirect doesn't print the right size for pages that are bigger than the first page in the document. The first page is A4, then I have some smaller pages (these are cut just fine), then 1 bigger page, same width but longer (21x41 cm). This is rendered as A4, even if in the page setting it's longer. If the first page of the document is longer, then also this page is longer.

Strangely if I choose a different (not personalized) page size, also bigger (like Tabloid Extra, 23,94 x 43,18 cm), the page renders well, even if bigger than the first page.

Even if I create custom page sizes through PDF reDirect and I choose them in Word, the page is cut to A4 if it is longer and if the first page of the document is A4, so this didn't help. If I want a page inside the document that is bigger than the first page of the same document, I have to choose one of the default page sizes.

I hope you understood the problem, it's been quite complicated even to figure it out, for me.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 11:00PM
Hi,

Yes, I can see how this will be complicated. I *think* that physical printers are often limited to drawing paper from a single tray, and that may be the problem. PDF reDirect is a "virtual" printer, but it uses the same drivers as a real printer, and may not be able to change paper source "on the fly".

If you do a "print preview" in MS Word, what does it look like? Does it show that the paper size will be adjusted automatically?

That might give a hint on whether MS Word thinks it can handle what you are trying to do.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Gomez79

Quote Gomez79 Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 6:43AM
Thanks for your answer. The print preview works fine. I've made other attempts with different page sizes, and with different sequences of different formats, but the outcomes are very inconsistent. I can't even find out a rule of behaviour of this thing. I tried other virtual printers but most of them print the pages all with the same size or they rotate them in unwanted ways. Also, I get different results if I change the PostScript options in the Advanced Properties (maximum portability or optimized for speed).

I remember that I didn't have many problems when I used the 'export to PDF' function in LibreOffice, but I'd like to avoid to resort to that, if I find a viable alternative using Word.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 12:25AM
Hi,

If you have a recent version of MS Word, you may have a PDF export function that you could use. Try File >> Save As >> and choose "PDF" as the file type.

Otherwise, you can send me a copy of your Word file as exp (at) exp-systems (dot) com, and I can take a look.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version