Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Fix Slow Startup (Windows 2000 & XP) Post Reply Post New Topic
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Topic: Fix Slow Startup (Windows 2000 & XP)
    Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 1:11AM
I have had a report of a slow startup condition on Windows 2000 and XP computers where the progress bar is stuck at 90% complete for 10-15 seconds during startup (see picture)

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 1:14AM
NEW! (updated 22 May 05 to add patch to fix problem).

A fix has been found that should reduce the amount of delay by 3 to 6 seconds for PDF reDirect Pro to start when the user has setup a custom path as the startup folder.

The patch is available from [here]. This is a temporary fix until v2.0.16 becomes available.

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 05 at 11:29PM
   If you are still experiencing a long pause at 90% complete despite applying the patch, you can consider adjusting other Windows 2000/XP settings. The slowness might be due to the following:

• #1 - A long delay for users that have mapped networked drives that are located on Windows 9x machines or on Samba shared drives. The fix for this is to turn off "Automatically search for network folders and printers" (a setting under Windows Explorer), or
  • #2 - A delay of up to 30 seconds for users with mapped networked drives as Windows searches the remote computer for any scheduled tasks.    

Although I will give you the reference material that I used, please be aware that if you choose to make these changes, you are making them at your own discretion (ie I cannot be held liable for any damages).

Okay, now that the lawyer talk is over, here are your options.

• Try Fix from Problem #1 above as follows: start "Windows Explorer", then select Tools, and then uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers" (see picture below). This made the biggest difference for me, cutting the delay from 15 seconds to ~7 seconds. However, I cannot guarantee that what worked for me will work for you.
  • Try Fix from Problem #2 above. You can find more information at the following web address: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/913/

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version