Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: mapped drive slow Post Reply Post New Topic
balyoa

Quote balyoa Replybullet Topic: mapped drive slow
    Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 5:44AM
Hello,

I use pdf redirect 2.5.2 and when I print on mapped drive is very very slow. How can we solve this problem?

Thanks for your help.

balyoa
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 12:28AM
Hi there Balyyoa,

I think I know what you mean.

Try the following: open Windows Explorer, and paste the entire path of the same destination into the Windows Explorer path. My testing shows that the slowness in accessing the target folder is exactly the same as what is experienced in PDF reDirect (assuming you have not yet opened that path with Explorer since logging on).

In fact, PDF reDirect uses the same cache as Windows Explorer. For example, if you open a folder in mapped drive first in Windows Explorer, it should be pretty slow. Now, if you open it in PDF reDirect, it will reach that target folder nearly instantaneously.

I also tested how long it take to create and save the PDF file to the C drive, and compared it to a mapped drive on our network, and the performance was nearly identical.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you think the problem you are describing is different.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
balyoa

Quote balyoa Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 2:35AM
Thanks for your response.

My mapped drive contains more than 6000 folders. Even if I opened the mapped drive in windows explorer before,  PDF reDirect is slowest. On a mapped drive which contains less folders, the performance will be nearly identical. Numbers of folders is maybe too much important for PDF reDirect.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 9:52AM
Thanks for the info. I will pass on your feedback to the manufacturer of the folder tool that I use, to find out if his system performance can be improved in a future version of his tool.

Cheers!

Michel

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
johnh

Quote johnh Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 11 at 1:05AM
I would add also that having a mapped drive as part of a Win7 "library" really slows things down.This is definitely only evident in PDF reDirect.

Another (I believe separate) issue with this configuration is that PDF reDirect picks up all the files from all of the library folders and shows them as a single list (e.g. I have a Win7 library "Documents" containing "My Documents", a directory at "C:\Dev" and a mapped drive "\\machine\folder". If I select the library in PDF reDirect, I get all of the files and folders from each of these top-level points scrambled together.)

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 11 at 11:26PM
Hi,

Thanks. I did get a hold of the author of the Folder View, and he assures me that he will issue a fix (although that was a few months ago). I will send him a reminder.

Thanks!

Michel

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version