Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Encryption error in v2 Post Reply Post New Topic
hmwallbanger

Quote hmwallbanger Replybullet Topic: Encryption error in v2
    Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 10:45AM
I am trying out the encryption feature of reDirect v2 Freeware.

It works on some files but not others for some reason. When it fails I get this vague error message that doesn't tell me what is wrong:
"An Error occured. The PDF File was not created properly."

The file that failed to encrypt is 160KB and 41 pages but another file that was 501KB and 8 pages encrypted without a problem. I was trying to use the same pw to encrypt both.

Is it a problem with the file name? What is the max length and what are acceptable characters?

Is it a problem with the number of pages rather than the total file size?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 11:17AM
Hi,

Unfortunately, the error message is indeed unclear when the encryption cannot be applied for the following three reasons:

1. PDF reDirect cannot write to the file (for example, it is only available Read-Only because of a network restriction, or because the file is open in another program such as a PDF reader);

2. The file is already encrypted, or it is locked, preventing PDF reDirect from making further changes. You can check via PDF reDirect user interface >> Select the file so that it appears in the "Preview" >> Does the small lock/key icons light up? Also, you can open the PDF in the PDF Reader >> File >> Properties >> Security to see if any restrictions are in place.

3. The PDF file is malformed (ie contains a structure or object error). For example, Xerox and Canon scanners create such files and PDF reDirect cannot process them. Although this is fixed in the latest version (v2.5.x) for this particular error, it could still occur if the PDF was not created by PDF reDirect. To fix this, you can try to re-print the PDF via PDF Reader or the Foxit Reader >> PDF reDirect printer >> New PDF and then encrypt that.

Anyway, I would check the 3 items above to see if any of the above apply to you. If not, please let me know, and we'll take it from there.

About your question: there are no filename/max length/characters restrictions.

Best regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
hmwallbanger

Quote hmwallbanger Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 10 at 11:33AM
Thank you, that was very helpful. The files that I could encrypt were scanned on a black & white copier and the ones that I couldn't were downloaded from my broker's website. They must have created them in some special manner because they don't even look like they were scanned- no copier glass specks/artifacts, no image degradation, pages are all perfectly straight and they have color elements.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 10:50AM
Thanks for the update!

The broker files are probably generated by an automated PDF creation program. I would check the security settings, but I suspect that they have already locked those files to prevent tampering.

Cheers!
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version