Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Sharing a PDF Batch Printer Post Reply Post New Topic
spensoft

Quote spensoft Replybullet Topic: Sharing a PDF Batch Printer
    Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 8:22PM

I have been testing the sharing of a batched PDF printer. This seems to work perfectly from a Windows Printer. I.E. Computer 1 has PDF Redirect installed and setup of a batch printer and the batch printer is shared.

I can print from computer 2 via a windows program, but not DOS. Just wondering if this is possible, to print to a share of a batched PDF Redirected printer? FYI: When I try from a dos program, it creates the file, but there is no data in the file.

Thanks

Brian

Edited by spensoft
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 9:28PM

Hello Brian,

What you are doing is pretty ingenious. I never though of using PDF reDirect Batch Printers as a shared printer! As an aside, I am planning (eventually) a "server" version of PDF reDirect that will provide the same functionality.

Your question is a good one: the shared printer, and the drivers is running in a windows environment on the remote machine, so, in theory, it *might* be possible to do just as you are asking, but I have never tried. Right now, I don't even know how to change the DOS printer port from LPT1 to the PDF reDirect Port. Unfortunately, I was a "Mac head" until 1995 - so I missed the DOS era which makes me fairly ignorant in that department.

Sorry.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
spensoft

Quote spensoft Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 9:44PM

Hey no problem, I'm sure you can run circles arounds me and my old Quadra 650

Here is what I did on computer 2, from a dos prompt I typed

net use lpt1 \\computername\printsharename

This redirects any print job that is sent directly to the LPT1 port. I support an old DOS program that relies on this ability to redirect print jobs for various forms printing. I.E. Invoices and contracts and statements print on one printer and reports go to another.

What I would like to be able to do is to have my customers buy PDF redirect and then I would tie it into our program so they can output their invoices and statements and other documents to a PDF, and or email them directly to their customers.

If you are working on a server version, maybe this will have that ability. I would love to see the specs on that.

Thanks

Brian

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 12:02AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for giving me the command. It allowed me to figure out what is wrong. It seems like DOS sends the raw data (basically a text file) to the printer driver. The printer driver is expecting printer commands, so it simply writes the data "as is" to the target Postscript file.

The next step is the conversion of the Postscript file to a PDF. instead, it finds the raw text, and it doesn't know what to do with it, so it creates an error, and quits.

I'll do a bit of research in my spare time to see if there is a way around this problem. I could (for example) make a customized version of PDF reDirect to compose the text directly into the PDF. Is your Invoice/Contracts/ etc very complex, with graphics, or is it all text?

As for the new Server version, it could be months away, so I would not plan on that for now.
IP IP Logged
spensoft

Quote spensoft Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 12:14AM

Hi
Well, lets see, If I were to output a PCL file instead of just plan text, would that fix the problem?

Yes, most of the items we output are all text.

Thanks
Brian

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 12:38AM
   Maybe. I don't know. You can try. Can you output as PS file? With respect to the PCL format, I'll need to do some research. I'll try to have an update by Saturday Night.

Cheers!

Michel
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version