Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Using with I-Deas 12NX (Page size problem) Post Reply Post New Topic
mvorn44

Quote mvorn44 Replybullet Topic: Using with I-Deas 12NX (Page size problem)
    Posted: 13 Dec 06 at 12:32PM
I'm attemping to use PDF reDirect with I-Deas NX12.  Within I-Deas, you have to setup the printer and I have done so using one of the HP large format Postscript devices, HP 1055CM PS to be exact. When the prints get to PDF redirect the page size has grown 2" in the Y direction. An example: horizonal A size print becomes 10.5 x 11. It doesn't matter what size print I create, it's always the same. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem? I-Deas has it own PDF generator but it cost $200 per license and $60 a year maintaince fee. PDF reDirect is a more economical PDF generator and my company will purchase the Pro version if I can get it to work properly.

Thanks, Mark
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 1:12AM
Hello Mark,

It will be very difficult for me to help you. I-Deas NX12 is not software that I own and they do not offer a trial download so that I can try to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing.

You say that you setup the printer using an HP Postscript Device. Doesn't the PDF reDirect printer appear in the list of available printers? I would use that if at all possible. Finally, I would check to ensure that the paper size you choose in NX12 matches the paper size in the PDF reDirect Printer (you can set the paper size of PDF reDirect via the Printer Properties, >> Preferences >> Advanced.

I hope that helps. I apologize for not being able to offer more.

Best regards,
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
mvorn44

Quote mvorn44 Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 8:07AM
I-Deas uses a third party software from SDI, http://www.sysdev.com/, to create prints and plots and we have never been real happy with it. I tried what you suggested and got the same results. I attempted to setup a custom paper size, short 2", in I-Deas and the result was PDF reDirect created a 8.5 X 11 PDF of only part of the print. I tried the same thing within the Properties of PDF reDirect and received the same result. I assume PDF reDirect defaults to 8.5 X 11 when it is confused. If you have no other suggests, I believe we can live with the PDF files having 2 extra inches.

Thanks, Mark
UGS I-Deas 12NX User
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 11:14PM
Hi Mark,

Very weird indeed. The default paper size is indeed 8.5 x 11. Some programs are smart enough to tell the PDF reDirect which paper size to use (standard Windows API call) and PDF reDirect will respond accordingly. If no paper size is specified, then it will use whatever is set as the default.

I would hate to place the blame on someone else, but I have never seen or heard of this "extra 2 inch" behaviour before. Therefore I would next try an alternate freeware PDF creator like CutePDF and see if the problem remains. That would tell you right away if the problem is with PDF reDirect, or with NX12 (or sysdev).

If it's me, by all means, let me know, and I will certainly take a look.

Or.... something else you can do is to try to print a small print job. Once PDF reDirect is open with the print job visible in the Merge List, go to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Temp

There, you will find the printer's Postscript (.ps) output file. Please zip it and send it to me. I should be able to tell you what NX12 is trying to do paper size wise.

The postscript file is the output from the printer which is eventually converted to the PDF format.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
mvorn44

Quote mvorn44 Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 06 at 1:07PM
I tried CutePDF with the same result. Then took the Postscript file and ran it through a Adobe disstiller and it has the 2 extra inches too.  I assume the SDI software creates a Postscript with a modified paper size since the selected device is a roll printer. I figure it's SDI's way of forcing one to buy their product. I will forward the PS file for you to look at. The setup I have to use makes the pdf in a portrait format but we would like to be able to force it to create the pdf in landscape. Thanks for all your help.  I still think PDFreDirect is a great product and the right one for our company to use.

Mark
UGS I-Deas 12NX User
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Dec 06 at 1:06AM
Hi!

Thanks for the Postscript file. It is indeed a custom page size. By manually editing the file and dumping it back into the PDF reDirect "Temp" folder, I managed to generate the PDF with the proper page size. Therefore, I think you are correct in that it is an attempt for you to use/purchase their product.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 07 at 9:47PM
I received new information from someone else with the following suggestion:

P.S. Regarding the topic "Using with I-Deas 12NX (Page size problem)" in the forum, I believe the problem may be with the plotter choice. They will sometimes add extra paper to the plot so that the cutter can separate it from the roll.

I hope that helps.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version