Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Can’t open files Post Reply Post New Topic
Mel005

Quote Mel005 Replybullet Topic: Can’t open files
    Posted: 17 May 06 at 12:41AM
I just installed PDF reDirect today and is my first time using it... anyways..under the "Files" directory - i can not access any files when selecting folders. why??
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 May 06 at 1:05AM
What kind of files are you trying to access? Perhaps that is the problem: the "Files" list will only show PDF files.

Perhaps a short explanation is in order. To create a new PDF file, go to your source program (for example, MS Word). Then, with a document loaded in Word, Select the File >> Print menu. In the Print dialog box, choose the PDF reDirect printer, and click on the "Print" button. At that point, the PDF reDirect program will appear, and your new PDF will appear in the "Merge List". Choose which folder to save the PDF to, and click on the "Save" button.

Here is a link to a more descriptive explanation of how the program works, with pictures and everything. Click [here].

Please let me know if I have misunderstood your question.

Best Regards,

Michel.

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Mel005

Quote Mel005 Replybullet Posted: 17 May 06 at 2:49PM
Well, i don't have MS Word.. will i need it to get more out of my PDF redirect?

I'm on a laptop PC - so would i also need to connect it to a printer? now what i'm trying to do is to open text/document files in PDF redirect, that i've made on WordPad and Open Office.org and convert them to PDF format.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 May 06 at 8:24PM
Hi,

I apologize for not explaining myself very well. The good news is that you do not need Word. It was just an example. You do not need to connect to a printer either.

PDF reDirect is installed as a virtual printer (not a physical printer, but it will still appear in your printer list). So... to create the PDF:
  1. Open your document in Wordpad,
  2. Choose the "File" menu, and select "Print",
  3. Select the "PDF reDirect v2" printer (don't worry, it is not going to print to a "real" printer,
  4. Click the "Print" button.
  5. Wait for the PDF reDirect program to start. Your PDF file will appear a few seconds later.
  6. Using PDF reDirect, select a destination folder and type a filename for the PDF file
  7. Click on the "Save" button to have your new PDF file saved.
  8. Your done! You can follow the same process for Open Office.

Hence the name "PDF reDirect". The output of the virtual printer is redirected to a PDF file. I hope this explanation makes a bit more sense.

Cheers!

Michel

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Mel005

Quote Mel005 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 06 at 12:07AM
It worked!

Thanx.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version