Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Cyrillic charset in file names Post Reply Post New Topic
Ivanytch

Quote Ivanytch Replybullet Topic: Cyrillic charset in file names
    Posted: 02 May 06 at 5:32AM
   Hi Michel,

I was pleased with reDirect freeware features. I have already tried primoPDF, pdf995 and other. But yours have several clear advantages. It even prints the entire excel workbook - the thing which competitive products can't do.

But reDirect has one specific drawback: it refuses "printing" files with Cyrillic charset. Specifically, I use KOI8-R but I guess it does not matter which one. After clicking 'Save' button the error message appears: 'An error occured. The PDF file was not created properly.' If I change the output file name charset to a latin everything goes smoothly.

But the most interesting in this story was that while the error above did not allow creating pdf docs with Cyr names in the chosen destination folder, it has actually created all the files I have tried with their original Russian names in its temporary folder C:\Documents and Settings\Ivanytch\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Temp.

The last circumstance gives a hope that the bug can be fixed relatively easy, and I would appreciate a lot if you can do this for me as well as for many other Russian speaking users of your nice product.

BTW, I have reproduced the same behavior on a second computer I have.

Thanks in advance,

= Ivanytch =
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 06 at 8:21AM
Hi,

Thank you for your kind remarks concerning PDF reDirect. You are absolutely correct with this bug. The (Microsoft) controls that I use do not support complex characters whatsoever. The problem occurs not only with filenames, but also with folders as well, and with other complex languages such as Chinese, Japanese, etc.

I plan to fix this in the next major revision by using a commercial set of controls that are compatible with these languages. This will take a few months though, but you should start looking for a beta in late September.

Would you be interested at that time in doing the translation of the user interface?

Best regards,

Michel
IP IP Logged
Ivanytch

Quote Ivanytch Replybullet Posted: 04 May 06 at 10:29AM

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your prompt response. Actually, it sounds bit strange that MS controls do not support multi-language ops. Do I get it right that MS 'controls' do not support UTF-8? Also, why could I then find properly generated PDF files with absolutely correct Russian names in the reDirect's Temp folder? Now I'm using this as a workaround when I do need to have a pdf file with Cyr name. Though, I am not a pro in sw development and not trying to argue at all.

As to your suggestion concerning GUI content translation - I'll think about this. If I have time at that moment, I woud try. Please let me know when the time comes.

Regards,

= Ivanytch =

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 06 at 10:15PM
Hi there,

I agree with you that it sounds strange. But this problem is so bad that 3rd party companies have developed new controls to fix this problem. I am thinking of using the controls from this company: www.cyberactivex.com

I am also looking for a simpler fix, but I have not found one yet.

The other option is that I can re-write the PDF reDirect program by using the newer Microsoft .NET language which works better. However, this will be a significant effort, and will create performance issues for Windows 98 machines which I want to continue supporting for at least the next two years. Switching to .NET will make more sense once Windows Vista becomes mainstream.

Michel
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version