Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Program No Longer Responsive Post Reply Post New Topic
cjbaird

Quote cjbaird Replybullet Topic: Program No Longer Responsive
    Posted: 20 Jun 10 at 4:49PM

I installed PDF reDirect 2.5.0 (freeware version) on my computer about 2 weeks ago and everything has worked perfectly until today (I love the program and have been using it since I first discovered version 2_1_0 in 2006).   FYI - my system is an Intel i7 system with 12GB RAM, I am running Window 7 Professional 64-bit, I have Norton 360 4.0 installed and it's up-to-date (i.e.- no viruses, etc.), and I'm having no other problems.

When I try to print a file from MS Word 2007 (which prints just fine using my HP ink jet printer), PDF reDirect starts, it loads the file, an image of the file to be printed shows up in the preview box, but nothing happens when I try to save it - the program simply becomes unresponsive and I have to terminate it using the task manager.  Also, even though Win7 "tries to find a solution for the problem", it doesn't work.

Twice I've uninstalled the program, stopped and restarted the print spooler service, rebooted the system, then reinstalled the program, but it is still nonresponsive.  I even had the task manager create a memory dump file, and I tried looking at it using dumpchk.exe [part of my Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)], but it's a 92 MB file and I have no idea where to look to try and figure out the problem with the program thus this post.

Anything you can do to help me solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.  I use the program extensively as teacher.  I convert all of the handouts for the courses I teach to *.PDF format so I can post them on the website I have for my students, and I'd I hate to switch to another program *.PDF printer program like Nitro PDF.

Thank you very much.  I look forward to your reply.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 10 at 11:35PM
Hi,

Nice system. Mine is an i7/12GB/Win7-64 as well.

Does this problem occur with all Word files, or just one is particular? If it's a large file, try reducing the resolution of the PDF reDirect printer to 300 dpi, and see if that does better.

Beyond that,
I am not sure I know what is wrong. I can suggest you "record" an error log and send it to me so that I can see where the error is occurring, and hopefully why. This is how it is done:
  1. Start PDF reDirect (manually, or through the "Print" command)
  2. Click on the green "Preferences" button
  3. Select "Generate Log Files"
  4. Click "OK" to save your settings
  5. Click on "Exit" to quit out of PDF reDirect
  6. Try to create a new PDF file. (Click on "OK" if the error occurs again). ie - click on "Print" in your application (Word) and try to create the PDF files.
  7. Click on the green "Preferences" button
  8. Click on the "View Log File" button
  9. Copy and paste the error log in an e-mail (exp -at- exp-systems -dot- com) back to me.
  10. You can turn the error logging back OFF.

Hopefully I can make some sense of what is going on by looking at the log.

Best Regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
ATL1

Quote ATL1 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 4:33PM
I have a very similar problem (Vista) except I found a workaround.  By closing the program and reopening it "as administrator" it is able to save the PDF when printed a second time from any application.  This behaviour holds true for any app I print from so I believe the problem is Vista related (works fine on XP and Win7 systems I've tested).   I'll email you my log file.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 8:24PM
Hi,

Yes, please send me the log file.

On my side, my Vista system is working OK, so hopefully we can figure out the differences between your experience and mine by looking at the log.

Thanks for the help,
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version