Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Problem with Excel 2007 Post Reply Post New Topic
hugepedlar

Quote hugepedlar Replybullet Topic: Problem with Excel 2007
    Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 10:39PM
Hi, I am providing IT support a client who has a new Vista x64 PC on which we've installed PDF Redirect.

There seems to be a couple of problems dealing with PDFs from Excel 2007. When printing a PDF with the PDF Redirect printer driver from excel the pages (preview and final) are all blank.

Also, when saving from Excel to a PDF file using the Microsoft 'save as pdf' plugin, a PDF file is created and looks fine. But when we try to use PDF Redirect to merge that PDF with others into a multi-page document it fails with the following message: "One of the files in the Merge List is missing, locked or encrypted." Merging PDFs created from other programs works fine.

I'm sure this is more likely to be a problem with Excel than PDF Redirect, but if you have any solutions to the problem we'd be very grateful. Cheers.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 10:51PM
Hi,

I have one test machine with Office 2007 is on a Win XP machine, and that works fine. I have also tested Office 2003 with Vista 32, Vista 64 and Windows 7, and those work too.

I have not tested Office 2007 + Vista 64. I'll see what I can do for that.

The second problem is a known issue with Microsoft's implementation of PDF with Office: sorry. There is nothing I can do until they either fix their bug (their PDF files are malformed) or the PDF library that I use (it's called QuickPDF) loosen their tolerances and start accepting malformed PDF files.

Anyway. I'll go investigate the first problem, and will get back to you.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
hugepedlar

Quote hugepedlar Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 10:59PM
Hey thanks for the quick reply! At the moment our workaround involves physically printing the spreadsheet then scanning it back in and merging it that way. It's an amusing solution, but it'd be nice to have a better one.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 11:14PM
Hi,

Well, I had a bit of good luck as my son has a new Sony Vaio running Vista64 with Office 2007. Unfortunately, I was unable to duplicate the problem. I was able to load an Excel spreadsheet, and to print it using PDF reDirect. It appeared normally.

I also noted that someone brought up the same problem [here], so you are not the only one, but I do not know if that person found a solution.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible for me to troubleshoot if I cannot duplicate the problem. I would take a look at the "Print Area" to make sure that it is not set to point at empty cells, and I would try printing to a real physical printer. ie is the problem specific to PDF ReDirect or all printers?

Anyway, if you find a solution, please let me know by posting back.

Thanks!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 11:54PM
Ouch. That's bad (the printing - scanning back in).

The only thing I can offer (if your client is willing) is for me to take remote control of the PC, and to try to investigate the problem that way.

I use logmein. Obviously, you and/or client can follow along as I troubleshoot.

Of course, I would understand if you or your customer felt uncomfortable about doing this.

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
hugepedlar

Quote hugepedlar Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 09 at 9:58PM
Thanks, that's very generous of you. I'll email you his contact details shortly. :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version