Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Slow creation of PDF Post Reply Post New Topic
jimbo

Quote jimbo Replybullet Topic: Slow creation of PDF
    Posted: 07 Aug 08 at 3:04PM
I've been using PDF reDirect Pro for a few years and have had great success with it. But, recently I've noticed something odd. When I "print" to the PDF reDirect driver it takes a really long time to start up and create the PDF document. Previously it would take less than 5 seconds to get going, but now it's taking at least 30 seconds. In fact, the first time I saw this, I thought something had hung-up. I've been through a few system re-boots since I first noticed it and it still persists.

As a side note, I also have a copy of PageMaker on this system and, of course, it uses Distiller to output PDF's (But, I don't have the full version of Acrobat installed) and it is showing the same thing -- very slow creation of a PDF.

I'm currently running Acrobat Reader 8.1.2. on XP Pro. Does anyone think that at some point during an upgrade to the latest version of Reader, something has changed that causes the long PDF creation times?

Thanks any insight offered.

Jim

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 08 at 8:20PM
Hi Jim,

The only thing I can think of that might be specific to PDF reDirect would be to check the error logging (ie PDF reDirect >> Preferences >> General) and check to make sure that the error logging is turned off. However, even if you have it turned on, the log will auto-purge itself so that the file will not get too large.

Considering that both PDF reDirect and Distiller are both doing it, then I would be inclined to look for a common cause to the two. I would run through the gamut of things like:

Is the computer running in a power saving mode?
    Is the hard drive fragmented?
    Are there too many services running in the background?
    Do you reboot your computer occasionally?

Apart from that, you could certainly also try an un-install and re-install of PDF reDirect to see if that makes a difference.

Changing or upgrading the Reader will not make a difference as it is not used to create the PDF file.

So, basically, I am afraid that I am not much help. Incidentally, you can use PDF reDirect with Pagemaker. It does require installing the PDF reDirect PPD file, but that is fairly easily done. I am pretty sure it's covered in the FAQ of the help file and that there is a post on this topic in the forum.

Cheers!

Michel

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
jimbo

Quote jimbo Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 8:37PM
Thanks for the response and suggestions, but the problem seems to have gone away on its own. PDF reDirect now starts and creates simple documents in just a few seconds...

Thanks again!

Jim

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 9:47PM
Good news! Thanks for letting me know.  Weird that it would fix itself like that.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version