Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Multiple user deployment questions Post Reply Post New Topic
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Topic: Multiple user deployment questions
    Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 4:00PM
I received the following e-mail this morning that might be useful
--------------------------------------

Hi Michel –

I’m working on getting a client to upgrade from free to Pro for about 50-70 Sales users, so we can add an interface to our Access-based custom app they use.  Most of those users are remote, and many of them also run the app on Terminal Server (so they will use Pro both on their laptop and on TS).  I’m not sure yet of the exact count, or of how many already have PDF reDirect free installed on their laptops (you’d think IT would know, wouldn’t you?!).  I’ve read some of the posts on your forum so have a pretty good idea of how this would work, but still have some questions:

1. Will we need more than one license on TS?  If the TS licensing is per user, I assume each user only needs one license, not two (one laptop, one TS)?
  2. Is there an easy way to upgrade in place, both on TS and laptops?  Like with your automated registration system?  And/or can we run a silent install as an upgrade?
  3. I see on your web site the price would be $12 each for the range we’re in; are there other options we should know about?

Thanks –

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 4:05PM
Hi,

I think everything you have asked for seems quite feasible. Here are the specific answers to your questions:

• Will we need more than one license on TS?  If the TS licensing is per user, I assume each user only needs one license, not two (one laptop, one TS)?
You only need one license per user. Each user can use his license from any hardware or virtual environment.
  • Is there an easy way to upgrade in place, both on TS and laptops?  Like with your automated registration system?  And/or can we run a silent install as an upgrade?
Yes. To upgrade, the user or the administrator should go into PDF reDirect Pro's "Preferences", then choose "Check web for Updates", and click the "upgrade" button if an upgrade is available. For a Server installation, you may need to be a bit more careful because you might end the program for any user that is using it while the upgrade is being made, or the upgrade might fail. Therefore, in that environment, I would recommend that your IT department downloads the latest upgrade executable, and applies that as part of a scheduled or un-scheduled maintenance period.
Yes, you can run the upgrade (or the full installation) silently by using the "/S" switch in the command line. Full instructions for using the switch and for installing on a TS environment is provided below for your reference.
  • I see on your web site the price would be $12 each for the range we’re in; are there other options we should know about?
Two things to consider. I have an additional discount for educational or non-profit organizations, so check to see if that would apply. Also, note that the volume discounts is in steps. For example, it would be cheaper to buy 100 than 80 licenses as you get the benefit of the reduced discount that starts at 100.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 4:07PM
Additional questions
----------------------------
Hi Michel –

Sorry, my question #2 wasn’t clear enough – I meant the upgrade from PDF reDirect “standard” to Pro, since it appears most of the users already have the standard version installed.  The challenge is that most of the users are remote, and most are typical sales people who aren’t real computer savvy or  very good at following written instructions.  I think we just need to have them switch to Pro in the UI, or maybe IT can do it remotely by changing an INI setting, and then a license code needs to be applied?  I’m wondering if part or all of that can be automated.

Closely related issue: after sending my message yesterday, I realized we’ll also have to install the Active X DLL on each user’s machine.  In the Access sample VBA code it states that “ActiveX control and sample code is installed as part of PDF reDirect Pro” but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  I’ve been using your ActiveX_Component_for_PDFR_Pro_v22005.exe and assume we’ll have to push that out to the remote users.  Any suggestions?  BTW, I realize this is all pretty standard app installation stuff, but our client’s IT group seems to not be too good with remote machine management, and we’re pretty much dependent on them – and we need PDF reDirect Pro to be deployed smoothly and fairly soon to support some important changes in our custom app.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 4:13PM
Hi,

Honestly, your best bet is to ask the users to go into the Preferences, and change their setting from "PDF reDirect Freeware" to "PDF reDirect Pro". This ensures that the printer is also renamed to match that setting. The alternative is to modify their ini settings file to set it to startup in Pro mode, but the printer will keep it's old name (but it will still work in "Pro" mode). The last option is to run the full "Pro" installation program on top of their Freeware installation. This will override their startup setting as well.

For the license key, yes, you can ask the users to register manually, or your IT staff can distribute the automated datafile to the Program Files folder of each user's PC. What I will do is to send you the e-mail you would get at the time of purchase that explains how the automated registration datafile works.

About the ActiveX DLL: yes, you are right: it is in a separate file. I do have a separate installer that installs just the ActiveX control without the sample file [here].

Your IT department could write a short Bath file that installs both programs, one after another, silently if desired by using the "/S" switch. Would that work for you? I can create that Batch file for you if this is beyond your IT department's capability.

Best regards,
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
RickNTA

Quote RickNTA Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 7:43PM
Hi Michel -

Thanks for posting our thread - thought I'd better respond so it doesn't look like you're just talking to yourself!

I think you were contacted yesterday by Randy T. at our client for a 100-license quote.  I wanted to confirm that you do provide support for the DLL for 100+ licenses as stated in the Access sample code.  I'm using the Access sample to verify that the DLL will do everything we need before they place the order and have run into some problems - I'll post questions in another thread.

thx -
Rick N.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 9:56PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I got Randy's request and I have responded it to that.

And yes, I definitely provide support for the DLL as you asked. I do get quite a few e-mails with request for support for code outside the use of the DLL, and that I do not cover. However, the questions that you asked are definitely what I would consider to be within the scope of the kind of support I would provide.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version