Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Redirect 2.2.5 Not Auto Launching on Print Post Reply Post New Topic
JasonC

Quote JasonC Replybullet Topic: Redirect 2.2.5 Not Auto Launching on Print
    Posted: 10 Jun 08 at 9:53AM

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum, so please excuse my question if it has already been asked/addressed.

We have PDF reDirect v2.2.5 (eval) installed on a W2k3 SP2 Terminal Server and when users try to print the auto create dialog does not come up.

Making the reDirect printer the default printer seems to remedy the problem, but it will work a couple of days and then back to not working.

A little bit more history on this. We did install Acrobat 7.0 Standard and were using that for awhile to create PDFs, but the management is trying to move away from that application to something a little more affordable...could this be causing an issue?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 08 at 12:28AM
Hi Jason,

Sorry for the late reply. I missed the auto-notify e-mail in my inbox.

Nope, I have not seen this.  I run a W2K3 SP2 Server here as well, and it's always activated the UI for me correctly. Acrobat 7.0 should not make a difference, but I have not tested that configuration. Nonetheless, I would be surprised if that was the case.

Did you follow the recommended Windows installation procedure for Terminal Services users? (see below)

Apart from that, the only thing I can recommend is that we spend some time troubleshooting by turning on the logging feature to see what is going on. The problem is likely to be in the Port Monitor which is perhaps not finding the UI executable. This would mean substituting a different version of the Port Monitor DLL which logs it's actions. Let me know if you are up to doing that.

Best regards,

Michel

--------------------------------

Installing programs on a Windows Terminal or Citrix Server

How PDF reDirect Pro is installed on a server makes a difference. If you simply run the installation program, then the program will not support the remote desktop clients. As explained in the Windows Server documentation, you need to install programs either via the Add/Remove Control Panel, or via the command line with the right command to ensure that the program will support multiple clients.

Check the documentation that came with your Windows Server software, particularly the topic on setting up Terminal Services. Here is a partial reprint:

1. You should install programs on a terminal server before giving clients access to the terminal server. Doing so ensures that you can test each program before clients access it, and can reduce the time it takes to perform program tuning.
  2. Use either of the following methods to install programs for multisession Terminal Server access:
    • Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel (recommended).
    • Use the change user command at the command prompt before and after installing the program.
    One of the primary functions of the change user command is to ensure that program files are installed to the systemroot rather than the windows subdirectory of the user's home directory (%homepath%\windows). This makes the programs available for multisession access.
  3. Before the program is installed, type change user /install at the command prompt to place the system in install mode and turn off .ini file mapping. The system then records how the setup APIs initially install the program.
  4. After the program is installed, type change user /execute at the command prompt to return the system to execute mode, restore .ini file mapping, and redirect user-specific data to the user's home directory.
  5. When the user opens the program, user-specific registry setting files (.ini, .dll, .ocx, and so on) are propagated as needed to the user's home directory.
  6. Add or Remove Programs, which runs the change user command, is the preferred method of installing programs. Enter change user at the command prompt only when you install a program by another method and want to ensure multisession access. For example, when Internet Explorer prompts you to install an add-on program, use change user at the command prompt to ensure that the program is installed for multisession access.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version