Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Word PDF. font size different slightly smaller Post Reply Post New Topic
madeincat

Quote madeincat Replybullet Topic: Word PDF. font size different slightly smaller
    Posted: 20 May 08 at 1:58PM
Hi all,
I've just found the program and I think it's great! Cusomizable but not too complicated.

But I have a problem... In fact, I have the same problem also with CutePDF or PrimoPDF so certainly it's not the problem just related to PDF reDirect...

My problem is that when I print a word document (word 2000 (sorry, it's really old) on windows xp sp3 (both japanese version)) with PDF reDirect, the result is slightly different from the original. Practically, it's smaller. For example, I have a document with 25mm margin each side. When I print it with my local printer, the margin remains 25mm. But when I use PDF reDirect (or any PDF converter I've found), and then print it with my local printer, the margin changes to about 30mm. Font smaller.

What should I do? Do I have to change settings and make the result bigger manually?

Also I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to improve the results of light lines which seem washed out a little.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 20 May 08 at 9:46PM
Hi,

Thanks. Smile

Since the problem you are describing is common to all three programs, I would turn my attention to MS Word, and particularly with the fact that for MS Word, you need to specify the paper size in two places:

-in MS Word, and
    - in the printer properties.

If they do not match exactly, then the output PDF may not fit very well. Most of the time, the difference in size is pretty obvious, but I have seen something similar to what you are describing with the printer set to "Letter" and the MS Word document set to "A4" (a European paper size).

So, anyway, open your MS Word document, select File >> Page Setup >> Paper Size Tab and check the paper size is what you want.

The, choose File >> Print >> PDF reDirect printer >> Properties >> Advanced >> Paper Size and again check the paper size is what you want.

Hopefully that will fix the problem for you.

As for the light lines, check the PDF Reader properties. As I recall, if you set the Reader to optimize for an LCD display, the lines can appear less obvious, but smoother.

Best regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
madeincat

Quote madeincat Replybullet Posted: 21 May 08 at 12:50AM
Hello Michel,
thank you very much for your lightening reply!

Now I've checked every point related to the printed size and found what was wrong. It was a really simple Adobe Reader problem and not of PDF reDirect at all... I might seem silly but anyway for someone who would have a similar problem in the future, I want to make it clear here.

The paper size was OK, all A4, for MS Word, for the printer, for PDF reDirect... As a matter of fact, I was converting the file correctly. But I didn't doubt Mr. Adobe Reader would meddle in.

When you are to print a PDF file with that imperialistic program, in the print setting window you see "page solution" and "enlarge/reduce" in it (I don't know the exact phrases as mine is in Japanese) and I believe the default setting is to "adapt to the paper size" or something. I changed it to "do nothing" and it worked just as it should.

As regards the quality of lines, I was referring to the printed result on paper, not on screen. I see some deterioration in the "word->pdf->printer" result compared to "word->printer" one, especially in light lines of serif fonts. I wonder if I can improve it changing some advanced setting...

Thanks again Michel for your suggestion.

cheers

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 May 08 at 11:27PM
Hi,

Wow, your English is really good!

Yes, the option is called "Shrink to Printable Surface".

For the quality problem - I think the loss of quality might come from the conversion of the font to a smaller compressed Type 1 PS font. What you can do is to (temporarily) activate the "Professional" version of PDF reDirect, then go into the Preferences >> Properties and make sure that the following option is checked:

"Do not convert to PS Type 1 Fonts (larger PDF)"

With that chosen, the fonts keep their original quality, so that might be exactly what you are looking for, although the PDF may indeed be larger.

I hope that help.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version