Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Network Drives Post Reply Post New Topic
shiells

Quote shiells Replybullet Topic: Network Drives
    Posted: 02 Mar 06 at 4:52AM

Hello, I've just installed PDF reDirect on my PC, and so far I must say it looks brilliant, however I have one small issue.

It was my understanding from looking at the features list, that I should be able to print to any of my Network Drives, however when I print something, the Folders window does not show any of my network drives, and if I select My Documents which is pointed to a network drive, it just prints to the local profile My Documents instead. I have tried running it in the Pro Trial mode as well but get the same issue, however if I just open up PDF reDirect from the Start Menu, I get all my drives listed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 06 at 12:54AM
Hi there,

Yes, you should be able to access your network drives. Clearly, "something" is not working correctly. I suspect that the difficulty comes from when I make the transition from a "system" to a "user" process - my first piece of code that runs is a Port Monitor which is running as part of the printer. From there, I call the PDF reDirect program, but I tell it to run as a "user" and to use the current account. In your case, it seems like that transition does not seem to occur properly and the program is still running as a "system" rather than as a "user", and therefore, it fails to recognize your drives and your settings (such as My Documents).

Sorry for the long winded techno-babble....

Let's try this:

1. Try to create another PDF.
  2. When the PDF reDirect Window appears on your screen, press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] to bring up the Windows Task Manager.
  3. Click on the "Processes" Tab
  4. Scroll down to the "PDF reDirect.exe" application.
  5. In the "User Name " column, it should give your user name. If it says "SYSTEM", then my theory is right

I have re-checked my code to remind myself what I wrote for the logic. Basically it goes something like this:
  1. Ask for permission to run as a user
  2. If permission is accepted, then run as a user
  3. If permission is denied or an error occured, then run as a System.

Last question: are you running on a Novell network, or some other non-Microsoft authentication system? It should not make a difference, but it might help me troubleshoot. I also need to know which version of Windows you are running.

Let me know how you make out. I may have to ask you to run some special code with the error logging turned on so that we can see what is going on. Thankfully, it's nothing too complicated.

Regards,

Michel.
IP IP Logged
shiells

Quote shiells Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 06 at 4:55AM

Thank you for your very quick response, you are correct, Task Manager is showing the process as running as System as apposed to my username.

The workstation is running Windows XP, on a Windows 2003 Network.

I'm more then happy to run any special code you need me to.

Thanking you in anticipation

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 06 at 10:10AM
I have sent you an e-mail with instructions. Let me know if you have not received them.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version