Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Lower-case Ls display as bold Post Reply Post New Topic
JJCrews

Quote JJCrews Replybullet Topic: Lower-case Ls display as bold
    Posted: 01 Oct 14 at 8:52AM
I'm having an issue with Word and Excel Documents: After I convert to PDF, many of the lower-case 'L's will randomly display as bold text when it is not formatted as such. The result will be words with random emboldened ls in the middle of them. The specific letters that are emboldened will change depending on the zoom level... it seems very random. This property of the pdf document carries-through to other viewers, IE if I upload my pdf to Google Drive for sharing and then view it from within Google Drive, it displays the same way it does on my desktop PDF Reader, with the bold L's.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 14 at 9:37PM
Hi,

I am sorry to hear of the problem. I am curious to know if the problem with any font, or only a specific font that is used in your documents/spreadsheets. In particular, since you are reporting that the effect is occurring at different zoom levels - it would imply that the problem might actually be the PDF Reader you are using.

I am not surprised that the problem also occurs from your Google Drive account as your desktop PDF viewer is probably what is being used to display the PDF (within the browser window).

Are you using the Adobe PDF Reader? If so, which version? You can also try the FoxIt PDF viewer (a lightweight, but capable viewer) to see if the effect also occurs with their product.

Please post how you make out. I might have you send one of these PDF files to me so I can analyze the file to see if there is a problem with the structure of the PDF.

Best regards,
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
argentpierre

Quote argentpierre Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 8:07AM
Same problem - and I've noticed it occurs while working with the Google Chrome browser, but not with IE. One more thing, and this has just started occurring the last few weeks: completed file sizes have suddenly become much larger. PDF files that should be - and have traditionally been - app 30K in size are suddenly 10x larger - not 10%, but 10x. Again, not in IE.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 11:51PM
Yikes! 10x larger might confirm that there may be a font issue. Can you send me sample file (original Word and PDF) for analysis? Please send to exp (at) exp-systems (dot) com.

I'll take a look, and see if I can figure something out.

Thanks
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 6:06AM
    I can confirm that Google Chrome now sends a (large) image to the PDF reDirect printer instead of sending the text and objects that make up the page. I also found that it sends an image to any printer (I tested the Adobe Distiller PDF printer with identical results). It looks like this is a change that they introduced in Google Chrome, but they also added a new “Save to PDF” feature which might work better for you, although, in my testing, the file size remained large.

Anyway, here are the instructions:
1.     Select “Print” in Chrome as you usually would
2.     Change your printer to “Save to PDF”

I hope this helps.
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
argentpierre

Quote argentpierre Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 7:44AM
Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic