Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: cannot merge PDF files Post Reply Post New Topic
gorebels

Quote gorebels Replybullet Topic: cannot merge PDF files
    Posted: 10 Oct 11 at 5:17PM
I've been using PDF reDirect for over a year and love it.  Now it doesn't work anymore.  I'm using version 2.5.2.  When I attempt to merge two PDF files, I get a message that says, "An Error occured. The PDF File was not created properly."  This happens no matter how many PDF files I try to merge.  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software and restarting my computer - neither worked.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 11 at 6:51PM
Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry to hear of the problem.

Is there any chance that you might be trying to merge PDF files which were not created by PDF reDirect? If so, then yes, it is possible that the PDF files are malformed (ie a minor error inside the PDF's structure). For example, I do have a problem with older Xerox and Canon Scanners that do create malformed PDF files.

Here is a workaround to this problem, but it requires the “Pro” version. I use the built-in “print” feature to print the scans back to PDF reDirect, and then I merge the outputs. You can do the same thing with the Freeware by printing them via Adobe’s PDF Reader to PDF reDirect, and then merge them. This will keep you going for now until the new version of PDF reDirect comes out which will be more graceful to work around these kinds of PDF files.

If you feel that this is not the problem, it is possible instead that your preferences file has become corrupted.  Please delete the following file to resolve this particular issue:

• Windows XP
    • C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Prefs_v2.ini
  • Windows Vista or Windows 7
    • C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\PDF reDirect\Prefs_v2.ini

Please note:
  1. Replace "USERNAME" with your own Windows login name.
  2. You will need to re-enter your license key information if you are using PDF reDirect Pro

I hope this helps. If the problem persists, please let me know, and I can investigate further. In particular, it might be useful to record an error log as shown below.

Best regards,

Michel

How to record an error log:
  1. Start PDF reDirect (manually, or through the "Print" command)
  2. Click on the green "Preferences" button
  3. Select "Generate Log Files"
  4. Click "OK" to save your settings
  5. Click on "Exit" to quit out of PDFreDirect
  6. Try to create a new PDF file. ie - click on "Print" in your application and try to create the PDF files.
  7. Click on the green "Preferences" button (you might have to manually kill the program and restart it manually) 
  8. Click on the "View Log File" button
  9. Copy and paste the error log in an e-mail back to me.
  10. You can turn the error logging back OFF.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
gorebels

Quote gorebels Replybullet Posted: 11 Oct 11 at 1:51PM
I use an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus scanner to create PDF files. But these directions fixed the problem. Thanks so much for your help!

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 11 Oct 11 at 2:02PM
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
littlejoe

Quote littlejoe Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 11:57AM
I also use an HP 8500 scanner and had a similar problem encrypting a .pdf file it created.  ("PDF file not created").  I picked up on your comment about the possibility of it being malformed in some way, so I opened the .pdf in Acrobat Reader 10, and "Saved As" a new filename.  I don't know whether it was luck or something else, but that solved the problem.  PDF reDirect was able to work with the version created by Acrobat.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 11:36PM
Wow: excellent idea! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version