Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Create Separate Files Post Reply Post New Topic
NOsher

Quote NOsher Replybullet Topic: Create Separate Files
    Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 11:22AM
Is there any way to create separate files instead of all merged into one file? Printing mulitple sheets out of Revit forces all the files into the "Merge List". Where the only option you have is to save those "Printer Output ..." files into a single file.  Half the time that's great.  The other half when we have to print individual pdfs with file names specific to the view in which they came from is not great. 

Anyone have any insight? 

Regards,

Neil
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 10:03PM
Hi Neil,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I was in Northern Canada with a very unreliable internet access.

In regards to your question: you would need to save each file individually as it arrivesl the Merge List. If it helps, you can turn on the option to empty the merge list (Preferences >> General Button >> Empty the Merge List after saving) after each save so that you do not forget that you have older files in the Merge List.

I hope this is what you are looking for. The alternative is to use PDF reDirect Pro, and setup a PDF Batch Printer where you can pre-select all of your options, and simply auto-save, or enter the filename only.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
NOsher

Quote NOsher Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 10 at 1:03PM

Thanks for your reply.  That's the answer I was afraid of, that I would have to save each file individually. 

I just tried the Batch Printer method.  While this does work, and I can add a prefix to the file name (i.e. 03-AI-) and PDF reDirect will append a sequential number, I still have to rename all the files to include the sheet name.  Such as:  03-AI-001 is renamed manually to 03-AI-101A - LEVEL 1 FIRE LIFE SAFETY PLAN (NORTH). 

My hope was that reDirect would be able to grab the name of the sheet and append it to the individual file.  At least I have individual files that were created automatically. 

Thanks for your help.

Neil
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 10 at 2:57PM
Hello Neil,

You mentioned "sheet name", so, if you are using Excel, you might be better served to right a short VBA script to properly name the PDF files as you go.

You have a couple of options. You could use a Batch printer that names the PDF file to a specific name, and then have your VBA rename it to the sheet name, or, you could use my ActiveX component with VBA for Excel to automate the creation. merging, and creation of the PDF files.

The current version of the ActiveX component is v2.2.6, and is compatible with the previous version of PDF reDirect (v2.2.8). The updated version  of the component (v2.5.0) will be released in 2 days (Monday), so you might as well wait until that comes out.

The latest version of the component is lodated [here].

I hope this helps.
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
NOsher

Quote NOsher Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 10:48AM
Hi Michel,

Actually "sheet name" refers to architectural drawings.  We use Autodesk Revit to produce these documents.  Although I am curious if we could use the VBA script to rename the files. 

Neil
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 12:42AM
Hi Neil,

I do not have AutoCAD, but yes, I do believe that it does come with VBA, so yes, it could be the solution.

I have updated the component to v2.5.1 which now works with PDF reDirect v2.5.0, so you could give that a try. Make sure you place PDF reDirect in "Pro" mode as that's what you need it to work with the ActiveX component.

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 12:44AM
Link to the ActiveX component v2.5.1 is [here].

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
NOsher

Quote NOsher Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 10:10AM
Thanks!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version