Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Batch Printer and direct printing at the same time Post Reply Post New Topic
hermi

Quote hermi Replybullet Topic: Batch Printer and direct printing at the same time
    Posted: 01 Jul 09 at 2:46PM
Hi!

I've written an application in VB.NET and want to print direct to a physical printer and create a PDF in the background with the batch printer. I need this  feature because I need a backup if the hardcopy is lost or destroyed.

I don't want't to print 2 times from the application because it takes too long to build 2 print files (many data to process ...).

How can I configure this in PDF reDirect?

Thanks for response!

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 09 at 12:17AM
Hi,

The separate PDF reDirect Pro ActiveX remote control component should be your ticket. It will allow you from VB.net to create the PDF, and then also print it to a physical printer bu using the following function: "Utility_Print_PDF".

Anyway, take a look at the ActiveX component and sample VBA/VB6 code [here]. Obviously, you will need to do a little bit of translating to get it to work with VB.NET.

I hope that helps!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
hermi

Quote hermi Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 09 at 2:23PM
It works!

I added the ActiveX_PDF_Pro.dll to the references in the Application pane of the Project Designer. Then I was able to see the Class PDF_reDirect_Pro_Tool in my object browser.

With this two commands I startet the physical printing from the pdf-file I created before:

Dim oPDF As New PDFR_PRO_Batch_RC.PDF_reDirect_Pro_Tool
oPDF.Utility_Print_PDF(filename, False, printername)

Star

But now I have another Problem...
The pdf-file created is different from direct printing to the physical printer. It is shrinked together. I use the physical paper nearly to the edge. What can I do about this?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 09 at 10:58PM
Hi,

Hmmm... Every printer is a little bit different, but PDF reDirect Pro allows printing all the way to the edge, so it should look very similar to your physical printer's output.

What I would do next is to check your physical's printer margins to see if there are any margins set as default. Basically, I would go Start Menu >> Settings >> Printers >> Your Printer >> (right-click) >> Properties >> General  Tab >> Printing Preferences. In there, look for advanced page settings which allow you to change the default margins.

Also, the "Utility_Print_PDF" might not print to the same size paper as what you selected elsewhere. For example, I have seen shrunken pages when printing a European "A4" onto a "US Letter" page. It works, but it appears smaller (shrunk).

I hope that helps. That's all I can think for now.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
hermi

Quote hermi Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 5:34AM
Hi!

I didn't manage the problems so far. It seems that the printer setting (A4) is correct.

Another test gave me some new information:
It is possible to draw to the edge of the paper. But alle text and graphik is smaller than the original (printing to a physical printer).
A 4x4 cm graphik is shrunk together to lets say 3.6x3.6 cm and all text is  smaller as well.

I tryed some settings in PDF reDirect but nothing works.

Any idea?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 3:27PM
Hi,

Please send me a problem file (MS Word would be great), and a sample PDF (of the same file, converted to PDF) so I can see the problem.

Please send to my e-mail address: exp (at) exp-systems (dot) com.

I can take a look, and see if I can duplicate the problem.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 12:08AM
Hi,

Thanks for the files. I have found the problem, and incorporated the change in PDF reDirect Pro (the little printer icon in the Preview header), but I still need to update the ActiveX component too (which is not done).

Anyway, you can try the Beta to see if that works better for you now (at least, when you are doing it manually through the user interface of PDF reDirect Pro.

The beta is available [here]

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
hermi

Quote hermi Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 09 at 11:25AM
Hi!

Thanks for your fast reply, but the beta version does not work as it should do. Printing from PDF reDirect Pro looks like before.

I tried to upgrade my installed version, removed it and did a fresh new install and last I installed the version on a different PC. No change in the output.

Any ideas?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 09 at 11:35PM
Hi,

This is because I have not updated the ActiveX component (yet). You can test the fix by clicking the small printer icon in the "Preview" area.

I will update the ActiveX component this week - which will address the problem when printing from VBA.

Cheers!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 09 at 12:38AM
OK, I think I got it working. I'm still doing some testing, and will report back tomorrow.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 12:44AM
Hi,

OK, I think it's working now. I will release an update this week as part of Beta v2.2.917.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 09 at 12:25AM
Hi,

Please download and unzip this [updated Beta ActiveX component] v2.2.917 in the C:\Program Files\PDF reDirect folder.

In this package, there is an update PDF processor (Capture.exe) and an updated ActiveX component and sample VBA code.

The print function should now work.

Cheers!

Michel
------------
Update: Fixed the link.
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 09 at 12:26AM
Oh, and I forgot: you might need to re-register the activeX component using the Regsvr32 command line program.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version