Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Custom Install Post Reply Post New Topic
DJKnight

Quote DJKnight Replybullet Topic: Custom Install
    Posted: 29 Apr 08 at 3:33PM
Your product is fantastic but as a Power User, I didn't like the fact that I couldn't Custom Install like with most programs.  For user's like me, I would like to buy the pro version, but I need to be able to choose my install directory because I personally do things like Partition Large Hard Drives, and I run Dual boot & Triple Boot setups and like to keep the OS separate from installed programs for backup and file retention reasons.  I would like to petition the EXP SYSTEM Programmers to possibly add custom install to allow for power users to choose the install directory.  IF this has already been discussed, then I apologize, but how does the other community members feel about adding this feature to the install routine?  I welcome all comments.  ClapSmile
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 08 at 10:10PM
Hi DJKnight,

Actually, I removed (sorry) the custom install option during the installation process, courtesy of Microsoft, and the new requirements that Windows Vista has of only allowing the installation of programs in the "Program Files" folder.

Technically, I could still allow Windows XP users to specify a custom location, but the problem then is that PDF reDirect will stop working if the user upgrades from Windows XP to Vista. Therefore, to provide a friendlier upgrade experience, I decided to also remove the  choice for Windows XP users.

And now, for the good news: you can still specify a custom folder location. You simply need to specify the installation folder via a switch on the command line. The installer will accept the following switches:
  • /S for silent installation, and
  • /D to specify a custom installation folder (instead of the Program Files\PDF reDirect default)

So, step by step, you would do the following:

1. Open Notepad,
    2. Type the following:  "Install PDFR Pro.exe" /S /D=X:\Folder\Sub-Folder
    3. Change "X:\Folder\Sub-Folder" to whatever you need.
    4. Save the File as "Install_Pro_Silent.bat" (or something similar) in the same folder where the installation program is located.
    5. Double-click the batch file to run it.

Alternatively, you can create a shortcut with the command line switches described above instead of a Batch File, or you can enter the command using the Start Menu >> Run... command.

Hopefully this will fix this problem for you.

By the way... triple boot? Smile

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
DJKnight

Quote DJKnight Replybullet Posted: 04 May 08 at 9:25AM
Thanks for the reply.. and yes.. triple... Windows xp, Vista, and Linux..
I will uninstall and reinstall by that method.. thanks.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version