Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Can't Email using MAPI-Outlook-POP Post Reply Post New Topic
pksimmang

Quote pksimmang Replybullet Topic: Can't Email using MAPI-Outlook-POP
    Posted: 31 Aug 07 at 4:13PM
I'm able to email from PDF ReDirect when using the SMTP server with no problem.  Then I tried using MAPI settings, and no dice.  I keep getting an error message:  "Sorry.  An error occurred and the message was not sent.  (Error code = 423).

Specs:  WinXP Pro SP2
PDF reDirect Pro v2.2.5
Generally use Thunderbird as email client, but switched default to Outlook 2002 to see if that would help.
Outlook successfully sends and receives from a POP server.  No Exchange server is set up.
**maybe unrelated:  My internet options show Outlook as the default, and TBird agrees that another program is the default.  However, when I right-click an item on the desktop and select Send To | Mail Recipient, it launches a compose window in TBird rather than Outlook.

Any ideas?  This is for a larger project I'm doing, and I'd like to run my messages through Outlook so I have a copy of the sent email.

Thanks!  I've been using the Pro version for around 2 years now, and I'm still really happy with it.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 07 at 12:31AM
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I completely forgot to reply to your post when I first read it.

Anyway, since my original testing in 2003 with MAPI with just Outlook, I have since been able to test and show that it also works with Thunderbird and Lotus Notes, so I am hopeful that we should be able to find a way to get it to work for you too.

Basically, MAPI should access whatever default e-mail you have setup on your computer, so, if you get Outlook to be the default, and you have your e-mail account setup and working, it "should" work (famous last words). Smile

However, if you prefer to use T-Bird, that should be OK too. The Send To >> Mail is a good test of the default e-mail client, but not for MAPI. Please give it another try: if it is still not working, let me know, and we can look at a different MAPI program that would at least confirm that the MAPI interface is communicating correctly or not.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
pksimmang

Quote pksimmang Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 07 at 8:11AM
 . . . and here I thought you were just enjoying a long Labor Day vacation! Wink

Thanks for getting back to me.  Glad to hear that the MAPI option should work with T-Bird--I'd much rather use that than Outlook.  I didn't realize that the default MAPI could be different than the default email client. 

Based on what you've told me, I had a little success.  I am able to send through Outlook using MAPI.  I had entered my username and password on the "email authentication" section of e-mail preferences, based on whichever of my several available mail servers was set as the default.   When I removed the credentials, the mail went through with MAPI.  That was WAY too easy.

That brings up my next questions.  (1) If Thunderbird is my default email program already, how can I ensure that messages go out through TB rather than Outlook?  (2)  If I have to use Outlook, is there an easy way to turn off the warnings that say "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook . . ."  and "A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf . . ."?  I'd like to get around having to get a third party program such as Redemption if possible.

thanks,
pks
IP IP Logged
pksimmang

Quote pksimmang Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 07 at 12:02PM
Wow, you must have driven down to Texas and fixed it when I wasn't looking!  (To quote some of my own users, that is.)

Apparently when I was doing the above, it reset my default to Outlook.  I relaunched TB and allowed it to reset itself as the default.  Then I retried my Microsoft Access application that uses the PDF reDirect module, and it worked great--sent it out via TB rather than Outlook.  TB also allows you to answer once if another application tries to use it, rather than asking each and every time.

Another advantage of using MAPI rather than the SMTP server:  not only do I have a copy in my Sent box, but it loops through my records and sends each one in about 3-4 seconds vs. about 15-20 seconds.

I'm good to go.  Thanks!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 07 at 11:36PM
Cool beans! I hesitated replying to your previous post right away - and instead chose to wait to do some research to be 100% sure. I see that in the mean time, you confirmed what I was suspecting: that it works well with T-Bird once it is setup as the default program.

For your other question about removing the Outlook warnings: I do not believe you can as there is no setting available either via Outlook or the registry to turn this feature off. Therefore, this makes T-Bird that much more attractive.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version