Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: PDF Engine Error Post Reply Post New Topic
heyscab

Quote heyscab Replybullet Topic: PDF Engine Error
    Posted: 20 Jun 07 at 10:39AM
When printing to pdf redirect I'm receiving this error:

PDF Engine Error. (Error Code. -100)
File Not Created

I tried reinstalling the prgram but I'm still getting the error.

Any help?

P.S. I did download the updated acrobat reader.  I don't know if that makes a difference though.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 07 at 12:45AM
Hi,

I have seen this error occur occasionally when trying to print a new PDF from an existing one from the PDF Reader. Is that what you are trying to do?

If not, try rebooting, and see if that helps fix the problem. If it does not, please let me know which version of Windows you are using, and what type of file you are trying to print (Word? Excel?). With that information, I will hopefully be able to help you.

Thanks!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
ChiSinWolf

Quote ChiSinWolf Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 07 at 9:56PM
Hi, I too have this error message occasionally.
I will explain my own particular circumstances as best I can: -

I am using PDF reDirect Pro v2

Problem occurs when I try to print a PDF document from Adobe reader 7 (v7.0.9). directly to PDF ReDirect.

The document I am printing contains annotations (mark ups and stamps), created by a program called PDF-XChange Viewer version 1.0.
This is a freeware program that is good for adding annotations.

What happens is that during the printing process, the error pops up, but the document carries on printing. The end result is a partially printed document. The base document is printed but some (Not all) of the annotations are missing from the end result.

Let me explain why I am trying to print a PDF document to another PDF document:-

The PDF document has annotations created by PDF-XChange Viewer. If I email the document to someone and they try to print hard copies using Adobe reader they can often end up with a print where the annotations do not show. There is a print setting within Adobe reader where you can set that annotations are printed or you can turn the feature off. I guess not so many people know about this, so I wanted to fully integrate the annotations within the document.
The best way I could think of doing this is to print to PDF Re-Direct, but as I have stated, I encounter problems.

For me this is not the end of the world. I use PDF ReDirect daily because it is my favourite PDF printer, primarily because I can batch print AutoCAD drawings. It will remain as my first choice.

This post then, is not a complaint, but I hope it may help you solve the problem encountered by the originator of this thread.

(Edit). Forgot to mention: - I am using Windows Professional Version 5.1 with Service Pack 2.

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 10:25PM
Aha!

Unfortunately, you (generally) cannot print a new PDF from an existing PDF using the Adobe PDF Reader (with one notable exception given below). This "problem" has always existed, and I always believed that Adobe was trying to ensure that existing PDF files could not be modified by adding garbage into the printer stream that was affecting the PDF conversion process.

The problem occured not just with PDF reDirect. I tried using Adobe's own distiller to create the PDF with the same result (errors).

However, something magical occured with the new PDF Reader v8 from Adobe. All of sudden, I am able to create new PDF files by printing from the PDF Reader. I am not sure why, but that version works much, much better.

So, give that a try, and see if that fixes the problem for you.

You can also try printing from the (free) PDF Reader from Foxit. I have mixed successes there as it usually converts the page into a bitmap for printing which makes for very large PDF files.

I hope that helps!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
ChiSinWolf

Quote ChiSinWolf Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 07 at 2:51AM

Michel. Thumbs%20Up

I downloaded Adobe Reader V8.1.0 and now everything works fine. All annotations now print via PDF reDirect as an integrated part of the document. Exactly what I wanted.

Hope this works for "heyscab" too.

Thank You so much.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version