Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: file system refresh feature needed Post Reply Post New Topic
msorens

Quote msorens Replybullet Topic: file system refresh feature needed
    Posted: 03 Feb 07 at 12:49PM
I just wanted to point out a minor item that you may want to put on your "to do" list. One could argue that this is a bug, but that is open for discussion :-)

(1) Print to pdf reDirect; the program opens.
(2) Drill down to some folder in the file tree in pdf reDirect, e.g. C:\a\b\target1.
(3) In Windows Explorer create a new sibling folder, e.g. C:\a\b\target2

There is now no way in pdf reDirect to save a file to C:\a\b\target2 without restarting the program, because it does not show up in the file tree. While monitoring for file system changes autonomously takes a bit of work, an easy solution is to simply provide a refresh button to save some hassle.

A minor inconvenience in an otherwise outstanding product.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 07 at 11:28PM
Hi There,

Thanks for the post: I am aware of the problem/limitation. The Treeview control I am using does not have an "auto-refesh" feature and the author of this control is no longer updating it. I worked about 4 months ago on hard-coding a treeview control using the partial source code made available from that author, and added code to receive the Windows directory refresh events. I actually got it working fairly well except for adding differences code to differentiate between Windows 9x, 2000, XP and Vista so that the root icons appear properly.

Since then, I placed that code on the backburner and instead got PDF reDirect to work with Vista as well as other features that seemed more pressing. I am going to have to finish that new code some day. Smile

For the users that use the "Pro" version: it has an integrated "New Folder" button which saves having to go back to Explorer to create the folder. In that instance, I do a force refresh since I know when a new folder was created, so the problem is avoided in that instance.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the problem: it is indeed on my list.

Cheers!

Michel
---------------------------------------------
For reference and to give credit where it is due: the treeview control was developed by Brad Martinez  and is available through the "Common Control Replacement  Project  [here].  Mr Martinez's source code web site is available [here].
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version