Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Conversion Without Dialog Post Reply Post New Topic
tedh7552

Quote tedh7552 Replybullet Topic: Conversion Without Dialog
    Posted: 10 Jan 07 at 5:29PM
Is there a method of setting some parameters ahead of time and then having the conveter automatically convert and save without prompting the user?

I have devices that hold cassettes of 25 silicon wafers. The device scans the surface of each wafer and produces a map of surface defects and particles. An operator places a cassette in the device and the device takes each wafer and performs this scan. I can set the device to print each scan which I would like to have converted to PDF and saved.

The problem is that it would not be optimal for an operator to stand and address the dialog that would flash up each and every time a wafer completes and prints. They put in a cassette and walk away doing other things until the device completes all 25.

Of course purchaing the Pro version, if it can support such an arrangement, would be no problem. Initial tests indicate that the converter does a great job with the output and the file size is a mere 20K per scan which is ...fantastic.

-Ted
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 07 at 11:18PM
Hi Ted,

I think, if  I understand your question correctly, that you are looking for a semi-automatic or automatic PDF creation. The good news is that PDF reDirect Professional comes with a "Batch Printer" tool that allows you to create PDF files automatically, and without displaying the dialog.

[Here] is the link to the help files on Batch printers which will explain to you how to setup these special printers and set the settings that you need. I believe that it will do everything you need, but if you need more fetures, you can also try the new Beta v2.1.908 which does even more. That new version is available [here] and adds the ability to add stamps as well as e-mail and FTP support, and a few other things.

I hope that helps!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
tedh7552

Quote tedh7552 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 2:53PM
Michel,

Testing your converter on the actual production tool was a raving success. The driver did not interfere with the operation of the processor intensive application running there and made PDFs quickly without missing any output (which a similar print capture conversion utility was unable to do).

The batch printer mode worked as I hoped and caught printer output, converted on its own with no dialog, and chose filenames according to the print job name.

Its now a matter of requesting some dough for at least two licenses of the Pro verson. I'm now thinking about how this 'system' could be applied elsewhere on the manufacturing floor.

Installation was a bit shaky and I ran into the Error 127 headache as detailed here:
Note that despite the actual error message, it does not appear to be and issue of local rights because I had no trouble installing other printers. Also, in my case, it did not appear to be an issue of another similar tool hooking the print monitor since the 2016 version had no trouble installing even with another print conversion package running.

These devices are, indeed, NT4 workstation devices so I had to revert to the Install_PDFR_NT_v2016.exe package in order to get it installed. I guess I can live without latest features. Hopefully I can purchase and register the 2016 version of Pro. I'm hoping that any registration key I purchase will work for the package that is already running on the two devices. I included the log file from the failed installation at the bottom of this post.

I do understand that you have dropped support for NT4 and do not blame you but if it does come to pass that later versions get around the installation issue on NT4, I'd love to hear about it. There are features in the batch printer setup screen for the newer version that I am interested in. There is no chance that these devices with get pulled out of the NT4 muck.

Overall, your PDF converter is exactly what I've been looking for. Great job!

-Ted
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 11:08PM
Hi Ted,

v2.0.16  should serve you well, and yes, the registration code will work fine with that version. Really, the only thing you don't get are the additional features, but it sounds like it won't affect you.

Anything after v2.0.16 will not install on a Windows NT machine because the download package are missing the Win NT Printer driver files which helped shave 1.5MB from the download package. For a while I was thinking of creating a separate Windows NT download available with the newer version, but my Windows NT test machine died, and I was not up to the task of building a new NT4 machine for testing/development because there were so few users.

Technically, the latest version could have been NT4 compatible, but I eventually removed all of the Windows NT4 code, and added new Windows Vista code, so, the damage done is now permanent with respect to going back.

Anyway, keep going at it with v2.0.16 and make sure it works to your expectations before placing a purchase: after all, you do get the free 90 day trial. When you do get the registration keys, you will not need to re-install anything. Simply click the yellow "register" button and enter the license key to remove the 90 day restriction.

Good luck!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
tedh7552

Quote tedh7552 Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 07 at 2:25PM
Just as a follow-up, I lazily waited until the 90-trial trial period was up and then bought three copies.

Great work. It certainly does the trick.

-Ted
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 07 at 11:32PM

Thanks! Smile
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
EDPatterson

Quote EDPatterson Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 07 at 5:37PM
Michel,

Is there a way that I can get v 2.0.16 of PRO?  I have the same type of equipment as Ted and it is also running Windows NT4.   If it proves successful for my application (as it did for TED) then I would buy two copies.  Updating the operating systems on this equipment opens up too many items that could go wrong.  So running the older PRO version is what I need.

The standard program works very well on my desktop system and my home system.  Plan to purchase my own copy of Pro for at home.  Good program and reasonable price.  Just the thing to have available when you want to document something.

Thanks,
Ed

IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 07 at 10:05PM
Hi Ed,

You bet. You can download the old PDF reDirect Pro v2.0.16 for Windows NT [here].

Cheers!

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version