Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Windows Installer Executes Post Reply Post New Topic
StarBright

Quote StarBright Replybullet Topic: Windows Installer Executes
    Posted: 02 Feb 06 at 8:54PM
Hello,

I am currently using version 2.1 of the free version of PDF reDirect. When I first start PDF reDirect or first print to PDF reDirect, Windows Installer begins to execute to install a program I already have on my computer. The program is a graphics program, Micrografx Picture Publisher 10. Micrografx was acquired by Corel, so there is no support for the program.

The Windows Installer attemps 3 installs. I can click cancel each time, then PDF reDirect loads and runs ok. If I leave PDF reDirect running, I can continue to print to it with no problems. I just clear the previous print(s) from the Merge queue before printing.

Do you have any suggestions to resolve this nuicance.

I love the product.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 06 at 1:06AM
Hi,

Wow: I have not heard of such a problem before with PDF reDirect. I'm assuming that this started as soon as you installed PDF reDirect?

I have a similar problem with my old computer (I finally upgraded last weekend). Everytime I delete a file, the installation program for NitroPDF starts running for no apparent reason.

I have scoured the internet, but could not find a solution to what you described, so this is the way I would proceed:
  1. Rename the executable for Micrografx to something else, which means you may need to re-create the shortcut in the Start menu and/or on the desktop. Does that fix the problem?
  2. Run a "registry fixer/cleaner" program. I use fix-it utilities and it has fixed random problems for me in the past.
  3. Re-install Micrografx.

All of those suggestions are "shots in the dark", so don't take them as gospel. You'll notice that I failed to list a fourth option, which is to remove PDF reDirect. :-)

Let me know how you make out: I am curious. I did re-check the source code, and I did not see anything in there that would cause Micrografx to run. Sigh.
IP IP Logged
StarBright

Quote StarBright Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 06 at 11:19PM
Thank you very much for such a fast reply.

I did rename the Picture Publisher Executable. I continue to have the problem.

There is a patch that Micrografx provided for Picture Publisher 10. The name of the file is IERegFix.exe. There may be something here where the registry was modified which is causing the problem.

Since it is minor and I have a get-around, I'll continue to use PDF reDirect as I described.

Thanks again for investigating!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 04 Feb 06 at 11:28AM
Hi,

Sounds good. By all means, let me know if that patch fixes the problem. I did notice that the patch is not sanctioned by Corel, and the description was not very explicit about what it was fixing. You may want to find someone who has applied it, and confirm that it dod not create any new problems. Maybe check the Corel forums?

Good luck!

Michel.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version