Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Unexpected error quitting Post Reply Post New Topic
Steve D

Quote Steve D Replybullet Topic: Unexpected error quitting
    Posted: 27 Nov 11 at 7:13PM
I've used free PDF redirect for a long time on several computers. However lately when I try to quit I get unexpected error quitting -- active x can't create object. Also erro occured in SetMyPrinterCMDSObject - Basic Object Failed and an Error occured in SavePrefs. It seems like just a certain computer, but I seem to have noticed problems exiting on another one as well. If I try to use redirect again, I have problems. I have to restart my computer.

Using WinXP 32.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 11 at 10:48PM
Hi Steve,

I am not sure what could have caused the problem, but it seems like the PDF reDirect ActiveX Printer object is no longer registered in Windows. The fastest way to resolve the problem is to run the Windows "regsvr32" command on C:\Program Files\PDF reDirect\PDFR_Printer_Cmds_v25000.exe.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, then the simplest way to fix the problem is to reboot the vomputer (important) and then re-run the installer (no need to remove first) to make sure all the ActiveX objects are properly registered.

For your other computer, you can try to do a re-install as well. If that does not do the trick, then try deleting your settings file as it may have gotten corrupted.
  • Windows XP
    • C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\PDF reDirect\Prefs_v2.ini
  • Windows Vista or Windows 7
    • C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\PDF reDirect\Prefs_v2.ini

Please note:

1. replace "USERNAME" with your own Windows login name.
  2. You will need to re-enter your license key information if you are using PDF reDirect Pro

I hope this helps. If the problem persists, please let me know, and I can investigate further. In particular, it might be useful to record an error log as shown below.

Best regards,

Michel

How to record an error log:

1. Start PDF reDirect (manually, or through the "Print" command)
  2. Click on the green "Preferences" button
  3. Select "Generate Log Files"
  4. Click "OK" to save your settings
  5. Click on "Exit" to quit out of PDFreDirect
  6. Try to create a new PDF file. ie - click on "Print" in your application and try to create the PDF files.
  7. Click on the green "Preferences" button (you might have to manually kill the program and restart it manually) 
  8. Click on the "View Log File" button
  9. Copy and paste the error log in an e-mail back to me.
  10. You can turn the error logging back OFF.
Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version