Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Foxit Reader does not activate PDF reDirect Post Reply Post New Topic
msorens

Quote msorens Replybullet Topic: Foxit Reader does not activate PDF reDirect
    Posted: 20 Jan 09 at 11:05PM
I have been a longtime user of PDF reDirect. With version 2.1.11 (free) I can print from Adobe Reader without difficulty. But when I try the same file from FoxitReader 3.0 it simply does not connect to PDF reDirect. I can also print from IE, Opera, Word, and anything else to PDF reDirect just fine, which leads me to lean towards a Foxit problem, but I know I get great support here in the forum so I am posting here first! (Yes, it is peculiar to print from a PDF to PDF reDirect but I find it a speedy way to extract pages.)
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 09 at 12:08AM
Odd. I have used FoxIt regularly, and it's always worked for me. In fact, the preview is rendered using the FoxIt engine.

I recall testing this, and as I recalled, it worked fine for me, but I'll take as second look.

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 09 at 10:58AM
Sorry for the delay: I have not tried yet due to a health emergency with my Dad. Hopefully, later today.
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 2:09AM
Hi,

I installed the FoxIt Reader v3.0 today, and printed a couple PDF files to PDF reDirect, and it seems to work for me.

For extracting pages, it would be best to use the "Extract" feature that is part of PDF reDirect Pro as it will lead to much smaller pages PDF files. FoxIt converts all of the fonts to curves which do not compress as easily well as fonts when re-converted to a PDF.

I hope that helps,

Michel
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
msorens

Quote msorens Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 4:50PM
Further checking led me to discover that it is an intermittent problem on my system--sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I cannot say what precipitates the situation though; if I find any additional info, I will pass it along.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 10:18PM
Thanks for the update. Yes, let us know if you find something.

Cheers!
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
msorens

Quote msorens Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 3:55PM
I finally had a chance to get back to this and found the use case for you.
Two issues:
(1) With an 8.5x14 inch document, the pdfRedirect dialog opens saying it is 8.5 x 14 but it will print it at 8.5 x 11.
If I attempt to change it to 8.5x14 (print >> properties >> advanced >> papersize >> legal) if simply ignores the setting when I get back to the print dialog box.

(2) With such a document as above, when Foxit has opened the document within IE7, then it does not activate pdfRedirect when I press print. Nothing happens. If I run Foxit in standalone mode, then it will activate pdfRedirect.

Hope that helps.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 9:12PM
Hi,

In respect to your item #1. Try changing the setting via the Printer Control Panel instead of from within your program. By that, I mean go to Start Menu >> Settings >> Printers >> PDF reDirect >> (Right-Click) >> Properties >> etc.

I think this will help ensure that it "takes".

With Respect to #2 - this sounds like a bug in Foxit. I would recommend sending them an e-mail or a problem report. I hate to pass the buck, but PDF reDirect on starts running if it gets the command from FoxIt (via the Windows Printer system).

I hope this helps nonetheless.

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
msorens

Quote msorens Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 8:21PM
Your workaround for #1 does work (though it requires closing Foxit Reader and reopening for it to see the printer change). Thanks for the suggestion!
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 11:16PM
You are welcome! Smile
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version